Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display Viewport Performance

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
samwicks
579 Views, 6 Replies

Display Viewport Performance

Hi all,

I have choppy display performance for large models (Geometry input ~ 1,900,000 Nodes, 7,000,000 Elements, 750 Parts, 6,500 Surfaces).

For the initial set-up, I get frame rates around 4FPS with a Quaddro 2000. GPU-z indicates the GPU core is working at ~40% capacity. System RAM is at 60% capacity and processors are idle.

I've tried the same model on a machine with a Quaddro 4000 with identical results.

For Results display, I have 1 - 2 FPS for a filled cut plane with the Quaddro 2000 GPU spiking to 97%.

Are other users with large models experiencing similar performance?
Given the GPU utilisation, would a GPU upgrade help?

Are there any recommended display drivers for Simulation CFD?

Thanks all

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: samwicks

Hi Sam,

Could you try some flags files to tweak the graphical settings:

Software Rendering : 1

Use Dropshadow - I often turn this off

See if either of those makes a difference

Message 3 of 7
samwicks
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

Hi Jon,

I've been playing about with the flags today. Is there a surefire way of detemining whether the Software Rendering : 1 flag is working? I've enabled it, removed it and set it to 0 with no noticable difference in performance; likewise drop shadow (although that flag is clearly recognised).

It's got to a stage where the complete model (with no parts hidden) is responsive, but as soon as I hide a part the performance degrades.

Message 4 of 7
Royce_adsk

Make sure you close down the software and reopen when you make changes to these flags.  Also, make sure these are set in the defaults flags section not the scenario level flags.

For software rendering if you go to the about button located in the 'get started' ribbon, there is a graphics info section available.  The vendor for software rendering is microsoft instead of your graphics card manufacturer.

-Royce

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 5 of 7
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: Royce_adsk

Have you also updated all the graphics drivers fully?

With Nvidia you can also change the GPU settings, we often choose the CATIA setting for the 3D global settings. Well worth making a change here.

Message 6 of 7
samwicks
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

Updating drivers [from old CUDA Dev to latest] and the Catia setting has sped it up massively.

Many thanks

Message 7 of 7
Jon.Wilde

Pleased to hear that worked 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report