Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compressible air flow in converging-diverging nozzle

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
tomasz.kura
524 Views, 2 Replies

Compressible air flow in converging-diverging nozzle

Hello!

I'm trying to analyse compressible air flow through c-d nozzle.I want to get Mach number equal 1 at the throat, and then make the air sonic. Due to theoretical formulas, to get desired Mach number at the end of it, we just need to know critical mass flow rate through the throat and 'end area to throat area ratio'. I've tried some combinations, but all the time I get wrong (smaller) Mach number.

For example for throat radius of 15 [mm], to get at the end 2,5 [Ma] radius for the final area should be 24,36 [mm], and mass flow rate: 0,6388 [kg/s]. Total temperature is 500 [K].

I've set variable condition for air, and tried many turbulence models, but all the time I can't get more, than 2,3 [Ma] at the end. What might be the explanation? All the time it's approximately 0,2 Ma less than theoretically.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: tomasz.kura

Hi Tomasz,

Assuming your model is set up correctly with Mass Flow (or Total Pressure) and Total Temp upstream and unknown downstream you should be OK. Advection Schemes 2 and 5 should be best for compressible flow. I would suggest you start with 5.

You do only have an 8% error, which is not bad - perhaps some mesh refinement might bring you closer.

Message 3 of 3
tomasz.kura
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

Thank you for answer.

I've tried both advection schemes. And many mesh settings as well.Unfortunatelly still getting the same results. In addition I've wanted to make the simulation dscribed here:

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Simulation_CFD/enu/2013/Help/0407-Learning407/0807-Verifica807/0815-Com...

to check if I'm able to get similar results. But again, I had different ones. Is it possible to receive full configuration for that case? It would propably help me get good results as well in my analysis.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report