Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CFD2012 Crashes when trying to save

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
mark
478 Views, 2 Replies

CFD2012 Crashes when trying to save

I am having a problem with CFD2012. I have a design study with quite a few (17) designs. I have found that when I have a crash, I am sometimes unable to open the design study again: it just crashes repeatedly (Windows message that the program has crashed). The problem I am having now is that I am unable to do anything with this particular design study other than look at the results of only one design. I cannot add designs to it, nor update designs. The only option I have is to open the share file, thus losing all of my results. I have had to do this a few times now, and each time I lose all of the results. As each of the analyses takes two hours or so to run, it is time consuming and leaves me with a fragmented set of results, in scattered files.

What I would like to know is:

1. Is there a general solution to this behaviour?

2. Is there a way to extract results out of this design study and save them seperately? Then I could collate them again into a design study. I cannot use the "Save Share File" option: No matter what contents type I select, or which designs I check or uncheck, it crashes the minute I press the "Save" button.

I have plenty of space on my drive. For what its worth, my hardware is a MacPro Retina (Solid state drive), running W7.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Royce_adsk
in reply to: mark

This will happen sometimes once the design study is too large for your system.  I would try to reduce the number of designs in your design study to around 6.  This count really depends on the specs of your computer and the size of your models. I have seen some users have dozens of 2D models since they are so small.  With that in mind it is hard to give you a hard number.

1. Is there a general solution to this behaviour?

Reduce the size of your design study.

If you go into the folder structure (windows) of your design study, delete the last solved for analysis to free up some memory.  This will typically fix what might have been corrupted from a memory standpoint.  I always make a backup of my design study folder as a backup so I don't lose my results while i am troubleshooting this issue.

Use your _support.cfz file to recover the above deleted runs to rerun in a new design study.

2. Is there a way to extract results out of this design study and save them seperately? Then I could collate them again into a design study. I cannot use the "Save Share File" option: No matter what contents type I select, or which designs I check or uncheck, it crashes the minute I press the "Save" button.

Until you can actually save your model you won't be able to do a save share file.  The save share file is the intended workflow for what you have described above.

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 3 of 3
mark
in reply to: Royce_adsk

Thanks. Yes, I think that is the problem: when I delved a bit deeper I saw that Windows had written huge memory dump files (over 1GB each) which were reducing my disk space below the plenty of GB's which I thought I had. So that all ties up. Thanks for the great and prompt support. Mark Marshall mark@outside.co.za 083 499 1114

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report