Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CFD Motion Simulation Error

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
ServusJeff
1434 Views, 3 Replies

CFD Motion Simulation Error

I've been trying to simulate the fluid motion within a gearbox. I have two helical gears with a prescribed angular motion. I continue to receive this error despite what I do:

"The Analysis has stopped because the Solver has exited unexpectedly."

The model meshes fine. After meshing and initializing, my output bar contains the following:

Control file processing complete

Check Out motion License: Successful

Authorization verified

Processing input...

2 Moving Solids found

Mesh input complete

Processing results input...

Results input complete

Processing BC input ...

Computing restart BC data...

Calculating BC data structures...

Calculate wall distance for 127754 fluid nodes

Wall distance calculation don in (0 + 1) seconds. Max distance = 1.63889

I've tried both refining and coarsening the mesh. I've modified the gap refinement properties. I've made the fluid and gear meshes uniform. My computer has 8GB if RAM and a Quaddro 4000 graphics card. Any thoughts as to what might be going wrong?

Thanks in advance

Tags (4)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: ServusJeff

Hi,

This could be down to any number of things but here are a few suggestions.

1) Move the gears along their axis, out of the model in CAD and use linear + angluar in CFD. The linear part to move them back into position and the angular as before. This way you can turn on the mesh enhancement and achieve a nice boundary layer around the walls

2) You may wish to add refinement regions to the fluid within CAD. Perhaps around the walls if you have a leakage path and certainly where the teeth mesh

3) Give the solids  coarse mesh and just refine their surfaces. I would not use gap refinement here, as the gap dimensions are perpetually changing

4) Run with ADV 2 - typically the best for motion

5) Use a very small timestep - how many degrees of movement are you seeing with each step as it is now?

6) What fluid are you using? It might be worth switching the solver to compressible (under Physics), even though you are likely running with some incompressible fluid

Have you considered running a simpler 2D analysis initially, to help you get the right setup and an idea of the level of mesh you will require?

Kind regards,

Jon

Message 3 of 4
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

In addition: Please ensure you are running from a local drive and not remote/networked

Message 4 of 4
ServusJeff
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

Removing the gap refinement, adding a slightly finer region around the teeth mesh, running with ADV 2 and decreasing the timestep solved the problem. Thank you Jon for your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report