Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CFD Model Geometry Complexity

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
tkf
Explorer
419 Views, 5 Replies

CFD Model Geometry Complexity

I have lots of FEA experience but I'm new to CFD. Seems that CFD cannot deal wth the level of geometric detail that FEA mesh engines can handle. Is this true or am I just doing something wrong?

The geometrically simple CFD examples have all worked fine. I'm now working on my first real CFD problem and it is bogging down due to the geometry, and putting unwanted spurious geometry in the model. Although I am still having a geometry interference problem at the CAD level. Fixing that should be helpful.

It is a curved rectangular box underwater. External flow is important plus internal flow from curved (not planar) inlet ports to a single outlet port.

Any suggestions?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: tkf

Could you share an image to help explain what you are running?

Message 3 of 6
OmkarJ

As I think aloud, since the mesh requirements of CFD simulations are a bit critical than FEA ones, the mesher will try to accomodate any trivial features (gaps, nuts/bolts, gussets) even though these do not contribute to the flow physics. Not only will this make life difficult while meshing but also will need longer run times. Don't be too afraid of removing or simplifying these features. It is also often helpful to model the flow domain if it is easy to do so, instead of extracting it from the 3D models created for manufacturing drawings.

Message 4 of 6
tkf
Explorer
in reply to: OmkarJ

Thanks for your input, I will have to simplify the geometry

Message 5 of 6
tkf
Explorer
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

Unfortunately the real geometry is proprietary and I can't post it. I need to create a much simplified model that will allow me to work on it step by step as I learn the CFD process. That I could post once it is done. After that process is complete I should be able to retry a simplified version of the real geometry. Thanks.

Message 6 of 6
apolo_vanderberg

You could always create a case within Subscription Center and work with Support on the native model where we can help point out what specifically might need to be simplified (or cleaned in the event of dirty cad)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report