Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CFD 2014 Heat radiation and convection

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
mingyar
623 Views, 2 Replies

CFD 2014 Heat radiation and convection

Hello, I need your assistance please, it trying to simulate the heat transfer between a flame ( which I simulate as a cylinder ) and a stainless steel plate,

I create a air volume all the way around my pieces, set up the flame as resistence and apply a temperature in the boundary conditions, for the plate I create the film coefficient.

When I run the simulation I dont see any heat transfering from the flame to the plate, can you guys give me some orientation about my simulation settings?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
nmuoio
in reply to: mingyar

I've got a few comments.

Radiation:

• Make sure the emissivity values are appropriate for the stainless plate and for the flame.  You'll probably have to change the flame material to a solid, because emissivity is not available for resistance materials.  (This may have changed in 2014.  I use 2013.)

Convection:

• Film coefficient boundary conditions can only be used on external boundaries.  It is only for simulating heat transfer with fluids that are not part of the model.  The software will calculate values for the film coefficient between the plate and the air.  Unless the plate is on an external boundary, the film coefficient boundary condition should be deleted.

Are you assuming forced convection or natural convection?

• If forced convection, what is driving it?  Entrainment into the flame jet?  Appropriate airflow inlet (velocity, volume flow, ...) and exit (P=0) boundary conditions are needed.
  • If natural convection, the air material needs to be changed from "fixed" to "variable".  P=0 boundary conditions should be applied to the air volume, where appropriate.

There is a lot of good information in the help document.  I recommend reviewing the "Application Best Practices" and "Simulation Guidelines" sections.

Message 3 of 3
Royce_adsk
in reply to: mingyar

Hello Mingyar,

We have successfully used resistance material in the past to include the radiation energy transport between the 'flame' and solid components.  The resistance will use the emissivity of what you assigned to the fluid around the resistance.

Could you uplod your support file so we can review it?

Thanks,

Royce

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report