Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CFD 2013 Geometry update Problem

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
martin.lorenz
2354 Views, 11 Replies

CFD 2013 Geometry update Problem

Hello,

i am using CFD 2013 for thermal simulations and get a problem i can't fix.

My workflow:

Setting up a simulation with a parasolid file and configuring all parameters was not a problem.

But then the mesher occurs an invalid point for meshing in the geometry. I fixed this using a CAD program. After that i updatet the CAD in the simulation.

When i want to run the simulation again the following error occurs:

"The simulation cannot run because the design geometry is being updated."

It is also not more possible to update the geometry again. I have to set up a complete new simulation.

So, do you know a solution for this?

with kindly regards

Martin

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

Got a little update to this Problem.

After i tried to update the geometry in an exisiting Design (it was solved bevore) i recieved the folling error window.

Closing CFD and restarting the program bring me back to the satndart problem, were the icon from the designstudy shows an update symbol that won't finish.

Every time this happens, the design study must be set up complete new.

How to solve this?

CFD2013.jpg

Message 3 of 12

Hi,

I have a similar problem. I can’t update a design while it is active in CFD.

When I try to update an active design from CAD with new geometry the Design Study Manager tells me, that it is locked. Other designs of that design study are accessible.

This issue is new to me and came with CFD 2013.

My workaround is to activate another design which is locked then. But the design I’m interested in gets free. Another way is to close CFD.

Is there a solution for this?

Chris

Message 4 of 12

I'm wondering more and more. Switching between Design Sudies causes the Program to show more and more different CMD Windows. Trying to close this ends in an closing Program. Otherwise i can wait a long time where only the CMD window becomes updated.

Actually there where 2 Design Studies marked as active. So now I have to delete them instead of changing the geometry.

All this occurs since CFD 2013.

Message 5 of 12
Royce_adsk
in reply to: martin.lorenz

Martin,

Could you try upgrading your graphics driver? These are all graphic card errors you are seeing in the command window.

-Royce

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 6 of 12
martin.lorenz
in reply to: Royce_adsk

Hello Royce,

i talked to our admin an told him your suggestion. he installed the newest driver and until now the cmd window wasn't shown again.

Martin

Message 7 of 12

Here is a screenshot to my first problem.

this occurs after the following steps

-starting simulation and recieving error message from the mesher

-fixing problems in a CAD program

-updating geometry

after the update, when i try to start thte solve process this error is shown.

the only way to solve this, is to delete the Designstudy und set up a new one.

Message 8 of 12
Royce_adsk

Before you update your geometry next time could you try to close and reopen your design study?

-Royce

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 9 of 12
DEMA38

I have exactly the same problem ... did you solve it ?

Message 10 of 12
samwicks
in reply to: DEMA38

DEMA38,

I encountered this problem earlier today. I've got a quick and dirty fix for it:

Re export into CFD as a new study & copy your old definitions across.

(You will have to remesh)

Step by step:

• From your geometry in CAD, launch CFD, & create a new design study. Perform any geometry changes as before (it works with edge merge, I haven't tested other geometry changes)
  • Save & close the new design study.

In windows explorer:

• Navigate to the old design study
  • Copy the following files from the old design study into their respective places in the new design study (replace <Design Study> with your design study names, rename the copy so it matches the new design study name):

<Design Study 1>\<Design Study 1>.bld

<Design Study 1>\Design 1\Scenario 1\Scenario 1.cfdsc

• Open the <Design Study>.cfdst in the new design study

Your materials, groups, BCs, mesh settings etc will be transferred to the new design study and can run!

As I said, quick and dirty.

Hope that helps

Message 11 of 12
tbrunetto
in reply to: Royce_adsk

Hello,

I am having a similar problem, but everything goes through as if it is working.  No errors, or anything, but when all is done, the design study is not updated to the new modifications that i have made.  What am i doing wrong?

Message 12 of 12
marco.mueller
in reply to: tbrunetto

It seems we're mixing too many issues here. The one Michael had, can be solved usually like Royce said, by closing the design study, which will remove the lock icon.

I've also had Martins issue sometimes (the one, not related to graphics card drivers), which "locked" the design by saying it was updated, which was in fact not the case. This information is even preserved if we create a support share file and a new design study based on that.
In most cases it happend due to a software crash during the design update, which obviously prevented the "unlocked" status of the design. But I also remember having it without any crash. If thats the case you can just start from scratch, I guess.

Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Marco Müller
Application Engineer Digital Simulation
Mensch und Maschine Deutschland GmbH
www.mum.de/cfd

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report