Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bringing the drawaings of Inventor to CFD and simulate

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
cpatil365
5013 Views, 17 Replies

Bringing the drawaings of Inventor to CFD and simulate

I am a beginner.Completely my work simulations has been stopped due to below issue.

I have  created my devices using the Autodesk Inventor. They stored in the "*.iam".

as assembly files. I wanted to do the heat flow simulation on my assembly.

I want to open these files Autodesk CFD. so that I can apply the heat contrainits.

But this CFD allowing only the "*.cfz, or *.cfdst" files to open. Pls help me, how to open my drawings in Autodesk -CFD.

No training is helpingme  here.  Pls help. Urgent. I waited for 1 month almost now. Pls. 

any reply is apprecieated!!

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18

I would recommend that you go through our example models (this is in the help) or the free Self-aced Fundamentals on our Wiki help.

The process for bringing geometry from Inventor to CFD is outlined in there as you would Launch (icon in Inventor) the geometry from Inventor to push to CFD.

Alternatively - if you are in 2014 you can File-New (as you are starting a new design study) and point to inventor geometry

Message 3 of 18

Thanks a lot. But the new issue is. I am saving in the "parasolinide" file. when saved in that, and trying to open in CFD, it gives error that opening failed. pls inspect the device. Device has all regid parts. no moving also. when I inspect it shows me that , 2 parts found. how to make all single rigid part. I am unable to do. any more help ?
Message 4 of 18

Why are you saving as a parsolid?

As I mentioned in my post, I would recommend launching frmo Inventor tokeep the geometry native and take advantage of all the associativity when you launch frominventor, or load the geometry in via the FIle-New dialog, not as a parasolid.

If your geometry is giving errors, then check to make sure that youre geometry is clean, ideally we'd like to minimize interferences (small press fits /etc) as this will require extra work on the interpretation side of CFD as well as potentially cause meshing issues even if the geometry came in

IF there are missing parts, check how those parts are constrained/mated to the surrounding parts as there will be something with them that is likely causing the issue

What is the error you are seeing?

Commonly we might do what we call the Rule of 1/2s to find the problem.

Let's say you have 8 parts in your assy,

Suppress the last 4 and launch in, did it come in successfully?

If so the issue lies in the last 4 parts, of them resume half (2) and launch again

We can continue this until we find the part / feature that is causing the issue.

Message 5 of 18

Hi, Apolo,
actually , from my Inventor tool, there is no tab that I can open the CFD directly. Hence is the issue. Now I changed some materials also and exporting to Parasolid files is also giving issues. No exact error is coming.
any help further.
Appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Chandra
Message 6 of 18
cpatil365
in reply to: cpatil365

Hi Apolo,
Pls see my issue in the below link.
http://screencast.com/t/Pbwsqfnu2kX

Many Thanks
Chandra

Message 7 of 18

There is no need to start a duplicate thread on the same topic

Can you pack and go and attach your geometry?

The reason you do not have a launcher in SimCFD 2013 is becuase you are using Inventor 2014. When we put out CFD 2013 we did not support Inventor 2014.

If you update to CFD 2014 you will get a launcher in Inventor to be able to push geometry to CFD, as well in the File-New dialog you will be able to load Inventor files directly.

Also, I would not convert to parasolid as Inventor is based off the acis kernel, you would have more success with exporting an acis (sat) file. Failure to load geometry is typically a geometry issue, or at times a permission issue. Can you load our example / tutorial models?

Message 8 of 18

Dear Sir,

I cant attched the "pack and go" as files are huge.  Anyways,  again downlaoded the 2013- Inventor version. Becuse 2014 CDF is not avialable for student version.

I have below issues :

1.  Now I tried to open the 2014-innvetor versioned geomerties, in 2013-inventor. They are NOT opening. Syaing that "version problem".  Now I have 2013-Inventor , and 2013- CFD both, But geometries are in 2014-Inventor. any solutions now I can completely migrate to 2013 -Invetor and 2013-CFD ? 

2. After I ninstalled 2013-Inventor, The 2013 CDF not apperaing in the same tool bars. Do I need to uninstall the CDF and re install CFD ? then only I can see the , 2013 Inventor and CFD both when I invoke the 2013-inventor ?

Thansk alot for your help.

Best Regards,

Chandra

Message 9 of 18

Hi! If I'm not wrong, you can just run SimCFDConfig from your installation directory to install the Inventor launcher.

Message 10 of 18

Correct.

When you install CAD after SimCFD, you need to run SimCFDConfig.exe (in the install directory) to setup the launchers for the newly installed cad.

Message 11 of 18
cpatil365

Dear sirs,

I did that , but without unisntalling the CFD or Inventor. see the links below.

2014-Inventor geometries not opening in 2013 -inventor.

and morever the CFD -2013 or the Inventor-2013  are stand alone, Not in One. 

so I want to save my time instaed of redrwa in 2013-inventor and exporting still problem if CFD is not in one hood/ribben.

Pls help.

http://screencast.com/t/C0687vO1C

and 

http://screencast.com/t/uNvyxYqbMVAs

Thanks,

Chandra

Message 12 of 18

CFD 2013 and Inventor 2013 are separate standalone applications.

If you can the SimCFDConfig after installing Inv2013 and you open one of our CFD tutorials in Inventor 2013 you should see the launcher in Inventor for pushing geometry from Innventor 2013 to CFD 2013.

You will not have a launcher in Inv2014 due to it being notably newer than CFD 2013

As you can see by the error message, you cannot open Inv2014 files in Inv2013.

I've also already suggested a potential workaround of saving out an acis (sat) to see if that would work in CFD 2013 from Inv2014.

You could also take the above mentioned acis (sat) and load that in to Inv2013 to launch to CFD

CFD2013 - Supports launching from Inv2013 as well as loading acis(sat) directly

CFD2014 - Supports launching from Inv2014/2013, as well as loading Inv geometry deirectly and loading acis(sat) direct.

The path you previously mentioned of exporting a parasolid can work, however, the fact taht you were missing parts indicates you had problematic geometry that would need to get cleaned up first.

Message 13 of 18

Dear sir,

I tried that way also But still I am unable to get the CFD tab in the inventor. 

I am  re-thinking that, I can completely uninstall the CFD-2013, and re install the CFD 2013, so that It may install that time inside the Inventor 2013. But the issue is I am unable to uninstall to CFD 2013 also. No uninstallers in the "toollist".

I can only uninstall the 2014- CDF and Inventor, which I have in my computer already.

Pls help me in below issues:

1. I have already drawn huge geometries in 2014-Inventor. and CFD-2014 is not available for download for Student. hence I need to switch back to 2013 tool sets. Problem is I amenable to convert the CFD-2014 to , to 2013.

2. The only solution re-thinking is I need to redraw all huge my geometries to 2013 Inventor and have to bring to 2013 CFD. now. But, that is also not happening.

Pls help with appropriate solutions. So that I will go ahed and finish my project simulations in the above situations.

Best Regards,

Chandra                                                                           

Message 14 of 18

Hi, I don't think it's wise to redraw your model. Instead, try exporting it to other file formats from inside Inventor such as .sat (which was pointed out by apollo) and then import the .sat file from inside SimCFD. If you still have problems, it might be related to your geometry. You might want to share your model here so that someone can take a look. 

Message 15 of 18

Dear Ilyas and Apolo,
Yes. The *.sat files works fine . I am able to bring in 2013-simCFD from 2014-Inventor. And use my geometries. Many thanks. You have solved my issue. Hundreds of Kudos to you.

Best Regards,
Chandra
Message 16 of 18
gstdb1
in reply to: apolo_vanderberg

My problem solve, thanks for sharing.

Message 17 of 18
kevanwahyu

Where can i get SIMCFD 2016?
Message 18 of 18
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: kevanwahyu

Hi,

Might you start a new thread for this please?

Also, have you had CFD before and how will you use it?

Thanks,

Jon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report