Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Axial fan analysis time,

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
E_DUMAN
557 Views, 6 Replies

Axial fan analysis time,

Hello,

I am trying to solve Axial fan Performance analysis But its takes a long time even though I have a good computer.(2 processor ,16 core 32 three. And 64 gb ram.)

My model detail 8 rotor and 9 stator. and fan diameter 900 mm.My total element about 7 million.

How can i reduce analsys time ?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: E_DUMAN

Hi,

This is quite a tricky question to answer, how long is the run and what are your expectations? Did you follow the guide here: http://help.autodesk.com/view/SCDSE/2014/ENU/?url=/cloudhelp/2014/ENU/SimCFD/files/GUID-013A783C-807...

What does '32 three' mean?

Did you ensure that you have 16 cores enabled within 'Solver Computers' if CFD is not already using them all when it runs?

Kind regards,

Jon

Message 3 of 7
E_DUMAN
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

Hello Jhon,

İ tried autodesk cfd turbomachinery guide.

i am running until 5000 iterations with 0.0025 s time step. (for 1.point on performance curve) . and our resutls are acceptable mean (pressure ,flowrate) but its taking long time

my computer 16 core and 32 thread ( hyperthreading system).

Under the solver computers box  core value =0 is it false? and have i select "use cluster"

i added my cpu window.

Thanks,

Best Regards 

Eyyüp DUMAN

Message 4 of 7
Jon.Wilde

Hi Eyyüp,

OK, best to just have 16 cores assigned then, 0 should do the same too though, it will just use what it found during installation.

No need to select cluster, as you are not running on a cluster.

The guide says run initially blade to blade to get the speed up fairly quickly and stably and then switch to 3deg/step for the final section. Doing this might help you run models faster.

Kind regards,

Jon

Message 5 of 7
E_DUMAN
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

Hi again,

ok you are right.i am always doing that.

But when my iteration get to 2000 then  pressure and flowrate convergences on monitor point .(2000 iteration =approximately 60 hours) and we bought program license since 1 years and i am working about axial flow fan simulation since 1 year so i couldnt  reduce my simulation time.

Thanks ,

Best Regards

Eyyüp DUMAN

Message 6 of 7
apolo_vanderberg

To reduce simulation time we would need to find methods of strategically reducing the mesh count, or finding methods to leverage a larger timestep size.
As Jon mentioned some run blade-to-blade and then follow with 3º per timestep.
Is it 8 rotor blades or 8 rotors (such that this is a multistage unit with 8 rotating regions) ?

What is your clock speed of the 16cores? While that is a nice number of cores if this happen to be 16cores @ 2Ghz (for example) you might find that a 4core machine at 3.4Ghz might run just as fast or faster due to the difference in clock speed
Message 7 of 7
E_DUMAN
in reply to: apolo_vanderberg

Hello

Firstly My computer HP z820  (its consist of  two processor, liquid colling system 64 gb ram ssd harddisk...) My clock speed 3.10 Ghz Totaly 16 core 32 thread ,its mean sometimes  cpu behavior like 32 core.

my  model geometry consist of 8 rotor and 11 stator.Fan Diameter 900 mm and my air volume lenght 6 meter.İ run with 8 blade to blade time .. (3000 rpm ,900 mm  = time step size 0.0025)

Running with  3 degree per time speed  takes more long time than 0.0025 time speed.

İ added my model photo.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report