Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autodesk Simulation - Is this possible?

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
ryan.sanderson
1238 Views, 15 Replies

Autodesk Simulation - Is this possible?

Hi

I’m carrying out a project at Uni which is the design of a hydraulic turbine blade. The blade/ turbine will be fit within a tube (micro tubular) and has been designed to run at 300 rpm when a flow rate of 0.003m3/s passes through the tube.

My question is - if I have the pipe vertical and the blade constrained within the pipe so that there is a 1.5m head, can simulation show me the resulting turning velocity of the blade when I pass my desired flow rate through the tube?

tried attaching the **** but says too big, so have attaxhed the two blades Id like to test and tube. created in 2011 inventor pro

Any help would be kindly appreciated

Regards

Ryan

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16

sorry, meant to say tried attaching assembly but said file was too big

Message 3 of 16
Royce_adsk
in reply to: ryan.sanderson

Ryan,

Based on your comments it sounds to me that you can simulate this with SimCFD, but you are going to have to be careful with the setup.  I would suggest that you model your simulation with the defined inlet flow rate and see what the resulting turbine speed is instead of using a pressure setup.   When defining the inlet flow rate make sure that you don't use a constant flow rate, but include a linear warm up/ramp up period that lasts over 50-100 iterations worth of the simulation.

Since it seems that the transient response isn't important at the moment, when you define you inertial value for your turbine (or the solid material type), make sure that you use a much larger value than what it really is. This will only effect your transient response and not your steady state speed.  The outcome will be a much more stable analysis.  If you were to use a light turbine, you would likely see a chatter in the RPMs and most likely divergence unless you use a very small timestep.

When doing these turbine simulation, I sometimes like to turn on intellignet solution control (ISC) for added stability.

Try to simplify your geometry as much as possible so that you can keep your mesh count reasonable.

-Royce

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 4 of 16
ryan.sanderson
in reply to: Royce_adsk

Royce

Thanks for your reply. Your answer scared me as Ive never used sim before and to be honest some of the wording went right over my head. Do you think this is possible for a newbie?

Best regards

Ryan

Message 5 of 16
Royce_adsk

Ryan,

I wouldn't say it is the best problem to do as a newbie, but it is possible.   If it is something that isn't NDA, we can work through it together in the forum.

If you could launch the geometry from Inventor into CFD and setup the model based on your what you think you should do and post a support share file here, we can review it and supply some comments to you.

-Royce

Royce.Abel

Message 6 of 16
ryan.sanderson
in reply to: Royce_adsk

thanks very much

im just downloading 2012 as this looks more visually friendly to me. Then im going to have to take my assembly over to sim and find out how to create a mesh of the two parts. Do you think that I need the full length of pipe of should I just use a small piece as if were using flow rate , head wont really come into consideration within the model does it?

appreciate your help thus far, thanks

Message 7 of 16
Royce_adsk

Lets start with 5 X Diamater of Pipe for the inlet and outlet extension.

-Royce

Royce.Abel

Message 8 of 16

hi

been trying to follow this tutorial, selecting the face etc and isolating the bit to test as per this vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oL_DOxFagvI&feature=related

but it wont allow me to do it, should i be trying to do this?

Ive got no where since we last mailed

ive created the assembly in inventor,

then shipped it over to sim through the add on, what steps next :-s

Message 9 of 16
Royce_adsk

Are you using Autodesk Simulation CFD or Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics/CFD aka. Algor?

Thanks,

Royce

Royce.Abel

Message 10 of 16

im using (attempting) to use multiphysics 2012, Smiley Frustrated

Message 11 of 16
John_Holtz

Hi Ryan,

It is confusing, but Autodesk Simulation CFD is a different product from Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics and performing a fluid flow simulation (CFD). So if you are finding it hard to following the previous suggestions, it's because you are posting in the wrong Discussion Group! (The Discussion Group for Multiphysics/Mechanical is under Autodesk Simulation.)

I think your original question was "can it be done". The answer for Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics is no, unless these assumptions are true:

1. The entire flow passes through the turbine.
  2. If rotating the turbine to produce a flowrate gives the "same results" as specifying the flowrate to produce the rotation.

The second assumption is not true in reality since a driven turbine causes a pressure increase between inlet and outlet, where as a flow causing the turbine to rotate will have a pressure decrease between inlet and outlet.

So, where do you want to go from here?

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 12 of 16

Hi

I have inventor pro 2011, I could try and find the Autodesk sim Cfd product you talk of, I'm a student ad can get the majority free off of autodesk.

Which do you use, so that I can try and Get the same version to work along with you.

Message 13 of 16

Is the inventor sim Cfd already built into pro?

Message 14 of 16
John_Holtz

Hi Ryan,

Inventor Simulation has NO fluid flow (CFD) capability. All of the Autodesk Simulation packages are separate and mostly independent. Since Autodesk Simulation Mechanical/Multiphysics cannot solve your problem but Autodesk Simulation CFD can solve your problem, I suggest that you download .... Autodesk Simulation CFD. (Actually, I do not know for certain that it is available in the educational version. You will either find out when you try to download it, or one of the CFD experts will reply to this thread.)

Just for the record, the simulation packages are:

• Inventor Simulation, which is part of Inventor Professional.
  • Dynamic Simulation, which is part of Inventor Professional.
  • Autodesk Simulation Mechanical, for linear and nonlinear stress and heat transfer analysis
  • Autodesk Simulation Multiphysics, includes Mechanical plus fluid flow and combined fluid/thermal.
  • Autodesk Simulation Moldflow, for injection molded plastics
  • Autodesk Simulation CFD, for fluid flow and combined fluid/thermal.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 15 of 16
ryan.sanderson
in reply to: John_Holtz

hi are their any users who have a copy of Autodesk Simulation CFD who can carry out a simulation for me and produce a report i currently cannot get this software on an education basis unfortunately grrrrrr

thanks

Message 16 of 16
Royce_adsk

Ryan,

Sorry, but there isn't an educational version of Simulation CFD available to give to you at this time.  

-Royce

Royce.Abel

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report