Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anisotropic mesh gradation

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
OmkarJ
363 Views, 3 Replies

Anisotropic mesh gradation

I thought I read somwhere that SimCFD 2014 supports anisotropic transition from wall to internal elements for prism elements. I couldnt find much the reference of it in the doco. Is it there, and if yes, what is it?

Thanks

Omkar

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Royce_adsk
in reply to: OmkarJ

Hi OJ,

Do you mean the mesh enhancement gradation setting?

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Simulation_CFD/enu/2014/Help/0532-User_s_G532/0698-Process698/0719-Setu...

-Royce

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Message 3 of 4
OmkarJ
in reply to: Royce_adsk

Royce,

I do know about the gradation, and btw, this is a really good addition. What I was curious about is term "anisotropic gradation" and I think I saw its mention in one of your comments in the case I generated (08379075). For the sake of this conversation, let me put the excerpts of the comment here:

+------------------------------------------

The future Y+ adaptation is through the general mesh adaptation option.  This does a much better job to generate a good mesh transition and couple that with SST and 10+ layers of wall elements with anisotrophic mesh transition from the wall and you can really start to get an excellent mesh.  When I am using Ke in 2014 I typically set a value of 100 or 150.  When using SST I will shoot for 100 or less depending on the number of layers that I have used and the amount of layer gradation.

-------------------------------------------+

Can you explain what exactly that is? Is it equivalent to "Edge growth rate" in the lateral directions? Or is it about the localised mesh adaptation for Y+?

Thanks

Omkar

Message 4 of 4
Royce_adsk
in reply to: OmkarJ

Ahh.. I remember that post.

You can use this flag (mesh_anisotropic_blend) to turn on anisotrophic blending. There are no real controls for the flag, but does allow anisotrophic elements away from the mesh enhancement layers to be generated. 

Give it a shot with a simple model!  It can add a lot more mesh and take longer to mesh, but can be useful for some geometries.

-Royce

Royce.Abel
Technical Support Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report