Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Angular Motion Results

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
toddthurnau
294 Views, 3 Replies

Angular Motion Results

I have been working on a water valve scenario that have the valve changing position 5 degrees every 5 seconds. I first ran an analysis with the vavle in the full open position to make sure everything worked properly and then added the rotation. When the compare the results of the two analysis I get different results for the full open position. When the scenario is set up to run full open the results show a .5gpm leak but when motion is added no leak is present. I am wondering what would cause this to happen. Both scenarios have the same setup as i am running no motion and then adding motion once the analysis has completed.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: toddthurnau

Are the meshes for both the same? Typically we turn the mesh enhancement off for motion, which may mean we are not capturing the leakage path.

Mesh it with the moving part outside of the model (move it in CAD) and move it back in for the run, using the inital position in the motion setup. Then you can manually turn the mesh enhancement back on and we will create a boundary layer before moving the solid part back in.

Much like the guide here

Message 3 of 4
toddthurnau
in reply to: Jon.Wilde

Thanks Jon. Im a little confused though. how do you mesh with the moving part outside the model? is there a good tutorial for this? I was using the poppet valve tutorial for creating this analysis. Am I not supposed to use the void fill feature when using motion? Thanks again for the help.
Message 4 of 4
Jon.Wilde
in reply to: toddthurnau

Here is the help page: http://help.autodesk.com/view/SCDSE/2015/ENU/?guid=GUID-C8FB4A11-2A9D-4DB8-80E5-1D0F050ED4B8

You can use the void fill if you like, provided you still have good inlet and outlet extensions.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report