Community
CFD Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s CFD Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular CFD topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A Software problem has caused Autodesk Simulation to close unexpectedly

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
ssenbore
1415 Views, 6 Replies

A Software problem has caused Autodesk Simulation to close unexpectedly

Hi,

Can someone help? I prepared 3 simulation jobs (all include mesh adaptation) on a local installation of Autodesk Simulation 2014.  I started the run using the Solver Manager, and hence 2 got queued while the first one started.

The Solution Monitor says that all analyses finished successfully, my computer does not have any SimCFD solver or mesher processes running as well, yet when I see the design study bar at the bottom, all three design studies show that they are running or queued. (see screenshot below)

Capture40.JPG

If I try to activate any of them to view the results, I get the following error.

Capture41.JPG

Is there a way around this? Is this a bug in the software? I would hate to run all three simulations again as they took an entire day.

Thanks,

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
OmkarJ
in reply to: ssenbore

Sometimes this happens when the jobs are queued. Try not to change between the design studies too much when you are submitting.

A workaround exists:

1) Backup the results files (Scenario.sxxx.res, where xxx is last iteration) from "solver" directories of all scenarios somewhere.

2) Export the cfz file of the simulation and open it. The folder structure will be created for the new simulation that is a replica of earlier simulation, without any results.

3) Open first scenario and run it for 0 iterations, the mesh will be created. Now copy the corresponding Scenario.sxxx.res in the "solver" folder of this scenario.

4) Go back to SimCFD and now solve the scenario from sxxx iterations for 0 iteration. The results will be mapped on to the new mesh. But you will lose all the convergence plot.

5) Repeat this for all other scenarios.

This way at least you have the results of last iteration. You can run futher if needed.

Hope this helps?

Omkar

Message 3 of 7
ssenbore
in reply to: OmkarJ

This problem truly sucks. It just happened again today, and this time, I did NOT switch between jobs when they were queued. I just opened the completed job the next day and the same thing happened. I really hope the Autodesk Team fixes this.

Thanks for your recommendation OmkarJ. At least I can use that to retrieve the results of the simulation.
Message 4 of 7
derrek.cooper
in reply to: ssenbore

Hello.. Not sure what's going on with this model, but can appreciate it sounds frustrating. I think we can provide some pointers on the forum, but this sounds like a good opportunity to reach out to the support team so they can dive in a bit further. That way we can reduce any wasted time especially as the weekend approaches.

You can email me direct, if you need a quicker response - derrek.cooper@autodesk.com

Derrek Cooper
Director, Inventor Products
Message 5 of 7

Hi all,

I had a similar problem and OmkarJ gave me the same steps see my post titled "Crash Recovery."  This should be simiplified / addressed.  Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.

Mike

Message 6 of 7

Hello, what was the caused of the issue?  I'm seeing the same thing after I hit "SOLVE"....so frustrating.

was there something wrong with the model that can cause this???

Message 7 of 7

Dear Omar

Sometimes this happens when the jobs are queued. Try not to change between the design studies too much when you are submitting.

A workaround exists:

1) Backup the results files (Scenario.sxxx.res, where xxx is last iteration) from "solver" directories of all scenarios somewhere.

2) Export the cfz file of the simulation and open it. The folder structure will be created for the new simulation that is a replica of earlier simulation, without any results.

3) Open first scenario and run it for 0 iterations, the mesh will be created. Now copy the corresponding Scenario.sxxx.res in the "solver" folder of this scenario.

4) Go back to SimCFD and now solve the scenario from sxxx iterations for 0 iteration. The results will be mapped on to the new mesh. But you will lose all the convergence plot.

5) Repeat this for all other scenarios.

Do you have a work around when you have only one model/design/everything open at once?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report