Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

advection scheme labels / solution details wizard

advection scheme labels / solution details wizard

Improve the labeling for the advection schemes.  1-5 doesn't help, and every time I want to change it I have to go to the help file to remind me.  Put the name and/or a short list of what it's used for in the dialog box. 

Actually, to make it much more user-friendly make a wizard for different analysis types (internal compressible, pressure driven, AEC, natural convection, etc) that automatically pre-selects the right solution details per the help guidelines such as advection scheme, turbulence model, results outputs, etc.  This would be pretty cool now that I think about it. (Just let me skip the wizard if I want to.)

3 Comments
Mike.Hattingh
Contributor

I totally agree with this suggestion. These options should be on the first tab of the Solve dialog, instead of taking multiple picks and clicks to select and change ADV. Be a big plus for usability - Go Autodesk!!

tong6
Alumni

It is just not an easy task to put all advanced settings in the first tab of solve dialog. The ADV settings info was also in the design study bar, solve settings section. The Turbulence or ADV dialog can be opened from the design study bar.

DerekWPT
Enthusiast

These should really be two separate ideas, but I'm 100% on board with both of them.

It wold be great if we could click the Advection scheme labels or hover over them and see a toolitp with the same information and guidelines shown in the help. That's such important information that it really should be part of the UI.

Also, the wizard idea is brilliant. I would imagine this would be something that could start simple, like just recommending Advection scheme based on certain inputs, and then be expanded over time to be a very powerful setup tool that recommends Advection scheme, turbulence model, enhancement layer settings, etc., and even suggests verification checks to look for after solving such as maximum recommended Y+ and NAR for the current scenario. 

For example: Are you simulating a rotating region? You should use apply a uniform mesh to the inlet/outlet surfaces; you should set the Enhancement layers to 5 the Layer Gradation to 1.25; you should use ADV5; you should use the SST-k-omega turbulence model. After solving, your Y+ should be less than 5 and your NAR should be less than 100-150.

This is all stuff that's very logical AND it's already known by the development team, so why not teach it to the software so the software can communicate it to the user? This is basically taking all of the guidelines which are already known but which only an experienced user or someone who pours through help files and tutorials would know, and building them into how the software functions--which is really how it should be. This would make the process of using Autodesk CFD for unfamiliar applications so much faster and less of a bumpy ride for both new and experienced users.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report