Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orthotropic material - 'element' or 'material' axis?

Orthotropic material - 'element' or 'material' axis?

Here is the 'topic' I submitted some days ago.

Spoiler

Because I have to use an emispherical and thin solid dome, immersed in a fluid domain, and it is made by conductive plastic material (it is obviously orthotropic), I didn't found, reading documentation, any indication about how to build a 'Local Coordinate System'

So, I should like to know if X Y and Z axis (indicated in Material Database panel) are global or local.

If they are global, this is a serious limit to this very fine software; if not, I really will appreciate any help to resolve this issue.

the answer (by Royce Abel- Autodesk) was:

Spoiler

The X, Y, and Z material properties are based on the global coordinates and you cannot define local material properties.

This would be an excellent comment to add to the idea station.

So, now I ask to insert in CFD the ability to manage Local Coordinate System for Solid Material definition (but not only)

Many thanks

Piero

1 Comment
aasiu
Advocate

We need to create 3 versions of an orthotropic material in the custom CFD library, in order to be able to have the correct properties per the installation. Examples of orthotropic materials I am using are PCBs (Printed Circuit Boards) and graphite thermal interface materials. On both the thermal conductivity of the materials differ greatly in between X and Y vs. Z axis.

All I want to say is that this is time consuming and prone to errors on using the materials and also on updating properties.

Thank you for considering this Autodesk,

Adrian

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report