Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mesh Options

Mesh Options

Fix the mesher!  I would gladly pay more a software package that was capable of decent grid generation.  Either that or implement a mesh import option so users could use 3rd party software to generate a usable mesh.

6 Comments
ryan.arnaudin
Alumni

Hi Matthew, specifically what kind of mesher options and/or improvements would you like to see?

matt.brown.ae
Community Visitor

Ryan,

Any of these would be helpful: structured meshes, quad or hex mesh, and/or logarithmic spacing in BL enhancement.  The models that can be generated with unstructured tet elements and the structured (but problematic) boundary layer enhancement are rarely ideal for most external flow analyses. 

-Matt

hartogj
Community Manager
Status changed to: Under Review

hartogj
Community Manager

Hi Matt

These won't answer all of your concerns but may address some.

1) The 2014 version now includes boundary layer gradation, which provides that non-uniform spacing. Max layers was increased also.

2) Try the anisotropic blending flag option. It creates a very smooth transition from BL elements to the rest of the volume mesh. Something we are looking to get feedback on.

3) Mesh import (unv, etc) is still supported if needed.

Jon

Product Manager

OmkarJ
Collaborator

Jon, 

I tried to import dat mesh file earlier. SimCFD recognizes the format and I see the geometry, but when I try to run it, I get the message that says bad elements formed, reduce enhancement etc. But infact, mesh enhancement is not used in imported meshes!

Can you suggest a workaround?

OJ

hartogj
Community Manager

Hi OJ

I did not see notice of your reply until now. I hope you've been able to connect with the support team on this UNV file issue?

Jon

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report