Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatic Report Generator

Automatic Report Generator

We've heard from several folks that an automatic report generator would be a valuable addition to Simulation CFD.

We'd like to get a better understanding of how much demand there is for this (+kudos if you agree!) and what an ideal report generator would look like from your point of view (leave your comments!). How do you use reports today? How would you use reports differently if you could generate them automatically from Simulation CFD? 

Ryan Arnaudin

User Experience Designer

9 Comments
jarrodpirtle
Advocate

At the very least it would export images of results with legends.

But in order do this the zoom tool would need to be fixed. It's currently difficult to adjust the zoom scale to a level which displays both the model and the legend in a reasonable way. I wouldn't want an automated report to display my model by "Zoom All" for example, because it would be far too small.

Currently we add planes or iso surfaces and export images individually. Images are then placed into a report where where annotation is added. The reports generally describe the objectives and setup of the simulation along with information about the software used and the methods of calculation.

My ideal automated report would be based on templates. Simulation would provide several templates which would include placeholders for titles, table of contents, model description, results images, and conclusions. These templates could be copied and modified to suit our needs.

The function of the generator would be a wizard format which would guide a user through the process. I don't beleive it's feasible to have a completely automated process because every simulation is different.

Dan_Margulius
Advisor

Hello,

Please look at the reports Inventor produces in the stress analysis and do the same in CFD.

All you guys are there, working togheter, start looking in house instead of inventing the wheel here...

Every analysis tool with self respect(CFDesign has a lot of it from my part) has a report built in, you dont need Kudos to build one too.

Regards

Dan 

sgold
Enthusiast

+1 to Dan.M's comment.

jarrodpirtle
Advocate

Also, I think a lot of reports will need to demonstrate minimum and maximum values across a given area. The bulk-weighted results tool is useful for this, but it's difficult to identify regions in larger models. It would be great if the software could apply tags to the areas instead of just highlighting the outlines. The tags could have some basic style controls like font size and color, and would be a great way to identify the regions from the bulk table in a report.

ryan.arnaudin
Alumni
Status changed to: Under Review

ryan.arnaudin
Alumni
Status changed to: Solution Provided

Thanks for all the feedback. Be sure to check out the new report generator in CFD 2015. Let us know what you think!

ajay.kanade
Explorer

2015 report generatior gives an error for models having "Initial Conditions" (infoString_w). Workaround is to disable "Initial Conditions" in the "Content" tab of report generator. Note that it will remain disabled until you enable it back again. 

philip.s
Alumni
Status changed to: Implemented

Mohdkashif784
Advocate

Report should include graphical display of Flow Parameters such as speed, total pressure, velocity, volume flow, temperature values at given points.

regards.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report