Shape Extraction for AutoCAD

gvalch1237
Message 1 of 5 (1,213 Views)

api for 123d catch

1213 Views, 4 Replies
05-07-2012 05:46 PM

Does Autodesk have near term plans for building an API about 123D Catch?  It's a wonderful service but an API is important for many of us who want to build enabling applications.  Your competition understand this - Agisoft is also a good product but they've included a Python-based API.

Can you shed any insights on this? 

thanks.

GV

Board Manager
scott.sheppard
Message 2 of 5 (1,182 Views)

Re: api for 123d catch

05-18-2012 08:16 AM in reply to: gvalch1237

That is something that could happen in the future. Let's look at history:

1. Photo Scene Editor - technology preview on Autodesk Labs to see if photogrammetry is desirable for Autodesk user community

2. 123D Catch - beta application to allow consumers to help hone the technology

Now let's consider where we're going:

3. AutoCAD, Inventor, Revit, 3ds Max - real targets as to where professionals want to work with designs; need ability to load photos into these apps, communicate with cloud to convert to mesh, and have resulting geometry be usable and measurable in the design app

What do these three things have in common? They are all clients that need to talk to a server that does the photogrammetry. So since these clients all use an API today, I could see a case being made where we open up that API to the developer community and see what kinds of applications emerge.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
craigthefabricator
Message 3 of 5 (1,090 Views)

06-18-2012 12:03 PM in reply to: scott.sheppard

I would like to second this request.  As a software engineer and a machinist/fabricator with a lot of ideas, having a straightforward way ot interface with the 123D Catch technology would open up some really creative automated possibilities for modeling the physical world for manipulation in Autodesk's other products.

I am a huge fan of where Autodesk has been heading of late, so I hope the trend continues and you further allow the hobbyist, maker, hacker, inventor, engineer, etc. community the opportunity to collaborate and participate with you to accelerate the current pace of rapid design, modeling, prototyping, and production tools available to society.

Thank you for your consideration.

-craig dunn

Board Manager
scott.sheppard
Message 4 of 5 (1,067 Views)

06-30-2012 05:54 PM in reply to: craigthefabricator

We have a motion. We have  a second. All those in favor say Aye.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
craigthefabricator
Message 5 of 5 (1,063 Views)

06-30-2012 09:39 PM in reply to: scott.sheppard
AYE!!! How many votes can I get? :-) -craig

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Visit Autodesk Labs
Autodesk Labs is home for new prototypes, experiments, applications, and technologies.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community