Shape Extraction for AutoCAD

Contributor
mbennum
Message 1 of 3 (339 Views)

Shape Extraction for Civil

339 Views, 2 Replies
02-01-2011 12:46 PM

Anyone else tried this out?  I realize its (very) early but it seems to be pretty un-usable at the moment.

I'm playing with a data set from a real-world project, shot with our scanner. (1.5gb LAS file, about 86m points, state plane coords).

If I crop the cloud down to a small portion of the data, some of the commands work.

Classify seems like it worked, it broke the point cloud up into "ground cluster" and "non-ground cluster" objects, but as far as I can tell they're a different (POINTCLOUDLIGHT) object type than the actual point cloud, and I can't do anything with them besides look at them.

“Extract Road Features” creates nothing remotely approaching usable, its complete gibberish.  The portion of the cloud I'm playing with is a straight road, c/g both sides with some driveways, and buildings, the lines it spit out are just wavy lines all over the place.  I thought maybe once the data was classified that I would get better results by running this on the "Ground Cluster" cloud but it won't let me do that.

“Create Ground Surface” seems to be broken, it "Fatal Exception's" C3d ’11 every time I try to use it.

If I'm doing something wrong I'd be happy to hear it, because I'd really like to see this work. :-\

- Matt

Board Manager
scott.sheppard
Message 2 of 3 (292 Views)

Re: Shape Extraction for Civil

02-10-2011 05:55 AM in reply to: mbennum

Thank you for the feedback. The team is working on an update.

http://labs.blogs.com/its_alive_in_the_lab/2011/02/download-of-point-cloud-feature-extraction-for-au...

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Contributor
mbennum
Message 3 of 3 (287 Views)

Re: Shape Extraction for Civil

02-10-2011 02:46 PM in reply to: mbennum

Thanks Scott. Looking forward to trying out the next revision of this thing.

We're currently using a Micro******* based tool and I'll take any excuse to get away from that thing :smileyvery-happy:

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Visit Autodesk Labs
Autodesk Labs is home for new prototypes, experiments, applications, and technologies.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

Ask the Community