Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Pixel art" rendering?

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
Mothil
5119 Views, 2 Replies

"Pixel art" rendering?

Hello!

First of I will say that I have little to no experience with Maya. I am actually asking for my brother, as he is the 3d-modeling enthusiast of us two. We have talked about making some sort of survival 2d platform game, much like Terraria actually. And he doesn't have the interest in doing pixel art, so I mentioned Blender has a way of rendering 3d objects in low resolution (I think it was?).

I know for a fact Cinema 4D has this as well, as a friend from school did a pixel art animation of a spinning fish last schoolyear. Does Maya have the ability to do this, and if so - how?

I think it would be strange if it couldn't, as cinema, maya and 3ds max stand pretty close in quality. If you know how to do this, please fill me in on the details. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXN0Zl1IMfI

This is a small animation I made in blender by the way. That globe is actually a 3d sphere spinning with map texture on. Which makes me wonder, maybe in Maya it isn't done in rendering? anyways, appriciate all feedback!

Thanks in advance,

Mothil

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
n8skow
in reply to: Mothil

I would try to incorporate this in post processing...

Render your images from Maya at a low-resolution to achieve the blocky look you are going for (with antialiasing disabled), and reduce the color depth and then scale to the desired size in a image editing app such as Photoshop/Gimp/etc.

Message 3 of 3
Mothil
in reply to: n8skow

I have not tried this, but it does sound pretty much correct. Thank you for your answer. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report