Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hair and fur 2015

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
1171 Views, 11 Replies

hair and fur 2015

2015 design now tells me:

MSG 0.0 10 MB error: Atmospheric "Hair Atmospheric" is not supported.

It still renders but somehow look like it has changed, especially in the viewport hairs look shorter.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
tony.su
in reply to: Anonymous

hi, It just warn your some function of H&F are not "supported" by mental ray.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Particles-Dynamics/HAIR-AND-FUR-RE-error-quot-HAIR-ATMOSPHERIC-quot-IS...

Tony Su
Product Support
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

I never received this warning in 2014, it ony happens in 2015.

So are you telling me Mental Ray no longer supports hair and fur?

Your reply just kindof repeated my first post and did not explain anything.

hair and fur does render but since 2015 version it looks terrible and throws error message.

could anybody explain what the deal is with hair and fur used in conjuncyion with Mental Ray renderer.

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: tony.su

think he want to render with buffer hair, but since this is not working and mentalray renders with geometry he getting the usual error message.

Problem is that buffer hair not working with mental ray anymore, with scanline its working.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

Not exactly sure what you mean.

I have my hair n fur set to mrPrims. Everything was fine in 2014, but in 2015 viewport hair looks wrong, rendering with MR gives the error but also renders the hair, albeit not looking the same as in 2014.

Message 6 of 12
tony.su

Hi,

What i mean is some functions mabye don't work in mental ray, but I am not sure what it is.

Could you send me a simple scene file - 2014 version? I will check what different between 2014 and 2015. Thank!

Tony Su
Product Support
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

Today I opened the 2014 file and it now appears to have the same problems as the 2015 version (looks wrong in viewport and renders looking wrong plus error).

Has something happened to my 2014 installation since I installed 2015?

Since 2015 installation, it seems to have changed my 2014 files (in terms of hair n fur)

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

Could be caused by 2014 sp5?

And then those changes being carried over into the 2015 release?

Message 9 of 12
tony.su

I'm not sure. We must test on differen versions to see if it is regression.

But you know, VP2 is a kind of hardware renderer - using GPU and mental ray is a software renderer - using CPU. The resoult of those renderer can be very close, but couldn't be same. 

We update VP2 every year to improve it, and we can see it is better in every new version. 

Tony Su
Product Support
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: tony.su

So where does this leave me with my current problem?

I was in the middle of a project using hair n fur, along comes 3ds max 2015 and......

My proj is stuffed?

No matter how I explain it, I am wasting my time?

Message 11 of 12
tony.su

Could you send me a simple scene file? I'll see what's problem. thank you!

Tony Su
Product Support
Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

So, Max 2015 Mental Ray no longer supports buffer hairs? All buffer parameters grayed out and its renders fully like "geometry" hairs (by rendered image and render times), no HairAndFur modifier material parameters is considered. And I cannot find any information about that in Max help...

Max 2015 with extension2.

Thank you autodesk, now I must redo my character scene from Max 2014... *facepalm*

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report