Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can not render background hdri

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
mohan_s
23079 Views, 12 Replies

can not render background hdri

I am Using 3ds max 2014. when i am rendering interior scene with daylight system with mr physical sky map in environment slot. It renders and shows background map throght the glass windows. But when i use hdri map image in material editor which i instaced in envi. map slot it renders all window glass black and oes not show backround hdri image.

Help is much appreciated.  Please forgive my english.

Regards

Mohan S.

Best Regards,
Mohan Suryawanshi
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
CAMedeck
in reply to: mohan_s

Do a Google search for using HDRI with 3ds Max.  You will need to either adjust your Exposure Control settings to suit the HDRI, or adjust the output of the map to suit the lighting in your scene.  There are several tutorials out there that will explain how to get good results, and help you decide which method will work best for you.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 13
mohan_s

Thanks For your reply, I tried searching on Google but did not found any kind of solution to this issue. I might be wrong in config. somthing but do not know what it is. Because initially it rendred fine with background image seen through window glass (Arch & Design glass materila used). But after i did some changes it stoped rendering background map, See attached image where mr exposure preview shows background hdri image throgh glass window but for final render it wont just black background with internal reflection on glass.

Regards

MohanS

Best Regards,
Mohan Suryawanshi
Message 4 of 13
blank000

If you're using native IBL you shouldn't use exposure at all.
Message 5 of 13
mohan_s
in reply to: blank000

If i am not mistaking i have used both GF & IBL in a separate render and got the same result. I want to know why mr. physical sky can be seen through window glass and for the same configuration if i put hdri map in place of mr physical sky it rendere black. Please see attached file download it rename its extension from jpg to max and see what mistake am i did it it.

Regards

MohanS

Best Regards,
Mohan Suryawanshi
Message 6 of 13
Steve_Curley

In future please ZIP your Max scenes, then they will attach. Renaming them to a different, but common, filetype is not an appropriate way around the filetype restrictions.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 7 of 13
CAMedeck
in reply to: Steve_Curley

I have to admit, I've been using V-Ray for over a year now and haven't done a whole lot in mental ray lately.  But I can't seem to find out why the HDR doesn't show through the glass.  The only thing I could do was remove reflectivity from the glass material to get the background to show.

I will mention one thing, though.  Your glass panes appear to have a thickness of zero, which may cause some rendering issues down the line.  You need to give them some sort of thickness if using the Solid Glass A&D material.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 8 of 13
darawork
in reply to: CAMedeck

Standing outside, looking in, the glass seems fine.

What causes one-way transparency?

I've tried to change the material to another fresh glass material and it's still black looking out.

I thought it was A&D max reflection/refraction depth set too low and returning the exit colour of black, but it's not. Even the globals for MR max reflection/refraction, which override the A&D figures are set fine.

It's not the geometry because I flipped the normals and nothing. Applied the same glass material to the walls, same black transparency.

Deleting the Sunlight system fixes it, but I can't work out why?

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Message 9 of 13
blank000
in reply to: darawork
Message 10 of 13
mohan_s

Thanks, I will remmeber next time i upload file.

Best Regards,
Mohan Suryawanshi
Message 11 of 13
mohan_s

Dear Blank000 thank for your reply and it worked perfectly. Though i was able to rendere interior and see through the background image from windows glasses at some area white spots appeared at final render. Is this beacuse of the less light coming in or something else.

Thanks & Regards.

MohanS

Best Regards,
Mohan Suryawanshi
Message 12 of 13
mohan_s

Dear Blank000 Thanks for your prompt reply , it really helped and the solution provided by you solved the render black issue.

Thanks & Regards

MohanS

Best Regards,
Mohan Suryawanshi
Message 13 of 13
blank000

Glad i could help. As for the white spots, it could be several things. Your geoumetry is not closed and GI settings are rather low. This is what i'm getting.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report