Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with displacement maps

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Totalnoob
202 Views, 2 Replies

Trouble with displacement maps

Hi,

Im new here and new to maya and have a question regarding discplacement maps. I want to use noise (or perhaps clouds) as a displacement map inorder to to try to imitate the surface of a regular concrete wall in my appartment.

However, I don't want the noise to affect all of the surface. Instead I only want the displacement to affect random spots on the wall (some areas of the wall are completly smooth while other areas are a bit "rougher").

As an experiment I have used the "checker"-material as displacement. I have then replaced one of the colors with a noise material. In my mind I thought the result would be one set of flat squares, and one set of choppy squares displaced by the checker AND the noise. But all I get is flat squares and elevated,clean flat squares (that is, only the colours from the checker material affect displacement).

Are there any smart, gifted and kind people out there who have a clue as to how to solve this correctly?

Thanx in advance,

Total Noob

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
damaggio
in reply to: Totalnoob

can you upload the scene Totalnoob?

Message 3 of 3
steve_r
in reply to: Totalnoob

The Maya "layeredTexture" node may be a better approach to combine textures, with a lot of control. It worked for me also for displacement as you describe, using a "multiply" of a checker and a noise texture.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report