Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surfaces Unable to reflect light at certain angles

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
liquidspark
590 Views, 4 Replies

Surfaces Unable to reflect light at certain angles

I get parabolae and strange shadow artifacts with lighting. I've been struggling with this for 3 days. I need help, please. Can anyone tell me how to get this kind of thing to stop happening with my lights? I've been messing with all kinds of settings without improvement.

This particular problem happens when a light is close to a surface.

I get another strange shadow issue where there is some sort of invisible spheroid occlusion interrupting the light. It happens in certain areas of the scene. Is this some sort of issue with the UVW maps, or is there a problem with light rays hitting surfaces at a non-perpendicular angle?

These problems happen with all different kinds of lights with every renderer. Adjusting the brightness of a light does not remove the shadows being cast by unknown objects, they just become more defined. Removal of shadow casting does not help either, so this must be some sort of occlusion issue? Turning off occlusion for the light does not do the trick either.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pendean
in reply to: liquidspark

You are posting in the wrong forum for product support and just wasting your time: this here is for reporting problems with the website.

Click on the FORUMS link at the top of the page, go find your product link, and repost there.
Message 3 of 5
Steve_Curley
in reply to: pendean

Looks like it's already been moved...

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 4 of 5
liquidspark
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Here is the other issue I am having. You can see how there are undesired shadows on the floor:

Message 5 of 5
liquidspark
in reply to: liquidspark

Here is a video of the issue:

YouTube video demonstration of the problem

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report