Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Studio setup - Remove plane edge reflection

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
GGPS90
3096 Views, 6 Replies

Studio setup - Remove plane edge reflection

Hi, I have this render of this phone, it's standing straight on a plane with a vray material plugged into a vray material wrapper and with white as background in environment. This way the plane is invisible but still catches shadow. The problem I have is that reflection from the plane edge. How would you go around to get a similar render with seamless white and shadows on the plane but no edge reflection of the plane on the phone itself?Iphone 4_2.jpg

Capture.JPG

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
ekahennequet
in reply to: GGPS90

Hi. Right-click the Plane object, go to Object Properties. Uncheck "Visible to Reflection/Refraction," but make sure "Visible to Camera" is checked.

Message 3 of 7
GGPS90
in reply to: ekahennequet

Ok, that worked out but it also made the phone darker and the plane is no longer reflective. Thanks for the tip.

Message 4 of 7
Stefan_L

What about replacing the plane with a closed chamfer box, surrounding lights and camera?
--
Stefan

i7-2600 @ 3,4GHz, 32GB Ram,
512+128GB SSDs + 2x500GB HD
GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB + GTX 980 4GB
latest Driver (almost always)
Win7ProX64 SP1
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

Thats odd- the plane should still be reflective. This may be a Vray thing? I don't have it to test, but I've done one in Mental Ray (attached) You can see on the right the plane is reflected. On the left it still catches the shadow and relects the box, but doens't reflect the plane.

The phone will only be darker because there was a certain amount of white plane being reflected by the floor. So it's hard to have it both ways - not in the refelection, but also not making the phone brighter/lighter.

Another thing you could try, is making a very small square below the phone that reflects and catches the shadow, then make the rest of floor plane invisible to relect/refract.

Message 6 of 7
ekahennequet

Stefan's suggestion should work. The edges won't be as abrupt as seen in your render.

As ollyv mentioned, your phone's brightness and reflections will largely depend on the environment it reflects. On occasions, I use separate objects for the ground/background and reflection. For example, I would have a ground object that receives reflection the way you have it, but I turn off "visible to reflection" in the properties. Then I'd have another object invisble to camera and only visible in reflection. This is when I want to have a specific shape of reflection shown on the object, much like "white card" or "bounce card" setup in photography.

Example:

http://www.sekonic.com/whatisyourspecialty/photographer/articles/white-line-and-black-line-lighting....

Message 7 of 7
GGPS90

Ok, I did what you guys said, i get better result now, still need to tweak to get around some problems. Thanks for the help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report