Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speckled lighting - need some help

29 REPLIES 29
Message 1 of 30
ChrisBriley
1513 Views, 29 Replies

Speckled lighting - need some help

All right, I should warn everybody that I'm new to 3ds max and mental ray, so please forgive me if I've just overlooked something simple here, but I've reached the point where I'm starting to blame the software (a classic sign that one has reached a learning ceiling and must seek the advice of others who have afresh perspective.)

I'm getting some serious speckle effect in my whole scene. I've done my research and have looked at other posts regarding this issue. One fella solved this by changing his "cylinder" lights to "line" lights. Another changed his Pro Materials to A+D materials and that fixed it for him. One gal increased the shadow samples in her skylight and it seamed to fix it (though I have a feeling it just glossed over the problem). Another guy solved it by moving the light farther away from a set of 3d teeth. (Which made me wonder if there's some funky scale issue?) None of these really solved it for me. i have some images attached and I'll walk you through them.

1. The speckle effect in full glory. At this point I decide that I can't take it anymore and something must done.
2. I was suspicious of the sky portal I added behind the glass windows, so I tried a render with the Sky portal off. It's MUCH better, but still far from perfect. Look at all the "glare" points (especially on the ceiling) and now I don't have the nice light from the sky portal.
3. I turned up the shadow samples from my sky portals to 256. It's better, but I still have serious issues. Speckles everywhere just not as bright.
4. So then I thought, maybe it's my interior lights (maybe some weird constructive interference) I tried a render with them off. Again, the speckles are still there.
5. Then I went through all of my A+D materials and turned on Fast Interpolation. This helped A LOT, but still there's speckles and very weird disco-globe like square flecks of light in weird places. I was baffled by this (Still am a bit) While helping considerably, I felt like using FI doesn't fix my problem but just glosses over them (figuritively and literally)
6. So I turned back on the sky portal, declared that it's as good as this thing can get and rendered a 7 second animation.

I would post the animation but it's 10 MB which seems to be above the limit. The specs of light are very distracting while in motion, and cheapen the animation quite a bit. I see some of the AWESOME images from other people all without this speckled affect. There must be a way to do this. I have two different computers and have the same issues with both, so I really doubt that it's a hardware issue. I'm bafffled and need some help. I'd be happy to post my max file if anyone has the compassion to help me that much.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

29 REPLIES 29
Message 21 of 30
ChrisBriley
in reply to: ChrisBriley

Don't quite know what's up with your systems guys, but I just downloaded both "Unit 17archive.zip"s and both extracted a .max scene file and both loaded into max without any problems - apart from all the missing maps, which means no-one is going to be able to test render the scene...

please test it. ANY material. Use an A+D material. Apply it to everything. use any map. I just don't think this is a 'bad map' issue. its light or sampling or render settings or ... what am i saying i have no idea what it is, but give it a shot and see if you don't get speckels. Unless I really crank things, I always get them. I'm a beginner, and have probably done something dumb that an expert will see right away. I checked a box I shouldn't have or used a light you'd never use with mental ray or something.
Message 22 of 30
CAMedeck

I had no problems downloading and opening the scene. Even with the missing maps, the problem seems pretty apparent. On several materials I sampled, you had Glossy Samples set to 6. Glossy Samples of 6 is way too low. Think low to mid double-digits, minimum. I go no lower than 24, and that's for small objects where the reflection isn't seen clearly. On something bigger and more apparent, like a floor, I go up to 64 or higher.

Also, I've done some testing recently on the Fast Interpolate, and found that it can slow down renders considerably when the Glossiness is high, above about 0.6 or so. You may be better off bumping up samples and avoiding the FI altogether for them.

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 23 of 30
ChrisBriley

Thanks Chris. That last "gray" image I posted here had Glossiness set to 0.3 and glossy samples set at 800! I did that test based on your advice last time. This last comment is very helpful though so i know where I should be with samples and settings. I'm just curious. If you replicate my experiment, load an A+D default material, apply it to everything, and render, do you get speckles like mine?

Thanks so much
Message 24 of 30
CAMedeck

Making a matte grey material on all surfaces still showed some speckling in the lighting. Turning up the samples in your Sky Portal Shadows a notch fixed it pretty well. And I noticed that your Daylight had Shadow Softness turned down, and Samples turned up to 200. Default values are 1.0 and 8. Returning these to default really helped speed things up. Oh yea, I also increased the FG settings from default to the Low preset. Low is actually higher than I normally use, but it went pretty quick on this scene.

I wish I had more time to go through it, but I've got some work of my own to do. 🙂 Good luck!

Chris Medeck
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 25 of 30
ChrisBriley

Making a matte grey material on all surfaces still showed some speckling in the lighting. Turning up the samples in your Sky Portal Shadows a notch fixed it pretty well. And I noticed that your Daylight had Shadow Softness turned down, and Samples turned up to 200. Default values are 1.0 and 8. Returning these to default really helped speed things up. Oh yea, I also increased the FG settings from default to the Low preset. Low is actually higher than I normally use, but it went pretty quick on this scene.

I wish I had more time to go through it, but I've got some work of my own to do. 🙂 Good luck!

Thanks Chris, I appreciate your time very much. I owe you a beer.
Here, I upped the sky portal samples to 128 each, Daylight softness to 1 and shaddow samples to 8, Set FG to draft used a Matte A+D material and rendered. this is my result. I'm still speckled though I was able to get this image in 4 minutes, so that tip about my shaddow samples was a real good one. 🙂 When you get in this trial and error mode you sometimes forget some things you've crancked and some you haven't.

I'm moving on to some bathroom renderings. I hope the answer reveals itself to me with in the next week or two. Otherwise I'll have to shrug and say the animation was the best I could do.

I need to take a class or something.

C.

Message 26 of 30
CAMedeck

It's definitely looking better. Don't be afraid to tweak the FG settings a little higher than Draft. Mid way between Draft and Low is usually where I've got mine set. And read up in the help file about what the settings do, and how they affect things. It helps a lot. I still go back on occasion to refresh my memory.

Chris Medeck

EESignature

Message 27 of 30
ChrisBriley

Got it!

It is as I thought, me overlooking something simple such as going to autodesk and getting the latest hotfix including SP1! It has made a world of difference. I can actually be rid of the spooky speckling in a 20 minute render! I owe a lot to you Chris, for helping me figure out where my settings should be and where to focus my attention on this stuff. I'll be using that advice moving forward.

I'm familliar with Autodesk products and should have known there was a Service pack or two. this is a great forum you've all been helpful.

Regards,

Chris
Message 28 of 30
CAMedeck

Ah yes, the infamous Service Packs... I didn't think anything in your scene would have been affected by that, but if it worked...

Glad we helped, and any more questions are welcome. 🙂

Chris Medeck

EESignature

Message 29 of 30
bregman.l.c

Hi Chris,

unfortunately I have the same problem you had and I saw that you fixed your speckle problem. Is there any change you can help me? Cause I read this forum, but I couldn't really discover how you actually solved your speckless... I hope you can help me with my speckless:P 

Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Message 30 of 30
liquidspark
in reply to: bregman.l.c

They downloaded the service pack(s) for 3DS Max.

If you get speckled dots, try using the Quicksilver Hardware Renderer with these settings:

Rendering -> Render Setup -> Common -> Assign Renderer -> set Production and Material Editor to Quicksilver Hardware Renderer

Rendering -> Render Setup -> Renderer -> set Iterations to 4, and disable Indirect Illumination or disable Enable Indirect Lighting Shadows.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report