Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple texture error, material displays multiple times

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
TUWieZ
798 Views, 6 Replies

Simple texture error, material displays multiple times

I'm currently using 3ds Max 2014, I have a very simple conflict however. The model I'm attempting to use for animations is a model from a Nintendo 64 game thus having very simple coordinates for verticies and textures/materials. My problem I'm guessing is a mapping error, I haven't dealt with anything like this before. The texture displays multiple times which is visable in the viewport and visable when rendered. Attatched is an image of the issue, though I'm sure it has to be an extremely simple issue to fix.

Any help with the issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
TUWieZ
in reply to: TUWieZ

Also as seen here when moving around the section with the applied material it displays more than once like in the first image. What I'm trying to do is get the image to display once, and if needed apply a background of the flat color to fill the space where the texture repeats itself. Resizing the actual texture just makes it display smaller.

Message 3 of 7
StephenMF

In general, all textures REPEAT and TILE themselfs, especially in a game engine.

In you unwrapper options turn on Tile bitmap to see this effect. When it is on it should be obvious why it is behaving like it is.

For more info look here: http://goo.gl/s3n8oU

Please show us your end result.

Enjoy.

Stephen

Message 4 of 7
TUWieZ
in reply to: StephenMF

Tile bitmap wasn't checked. Checking/unchecking doesn't change anything in the view/render
Message 5 of 7
StephenMF

You also have to increase "tiles" to more than one.

Stephen

Message 6 of 7
TUWieZ
in reply to: StephenMF

I don't think the proper modifier for this would be unwrap uvw. I resized the texture and scaled down the faces to the texture coordinates so there would be no tiling, however it doesn't blend with the background even when applying unwrap to the background.

With unwrapping (doesn't blend)

Without unwrapping (Deleted modifier, blends but scaled down due to texture resizing)

Lastly an image of what I did since my last post. Can any suggestions be made to make this blend? I've tried smoothen but it just makes the model high-poly. If you could make a suggestion for an alternate modifer/setting to make the original texture display once, or a suggestion on how to make the new resized texture blend via unwrap or another modifier that would be appriciated. Thanks

Message 7 of 7
StephenMF

unwrap UVW is not the problem... Next step is to look at smoothing groups http://goo.gl/P3783l

And i sugest that you do all textures on one map like this http://www.michaeldashow.com/tips_texturepainting.html

Enjoy.

Stephen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report