Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simple Rendering, where to start?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
universalpiping
443 Views, 1 Reply

Simple Rendering, where to start?

I have been doing very simple renderings for a while now in 3DS Max.  I do all of the modeling in AutoCad, and I import the files into max to creat a simple JPG rendering.  

I have serious issues when trying to accomplish simple tasks, and I always end up with a product that is washed out, or to dark, and the background is as simple as it can get.

For what I need to do, I have been able to be successful so far in creatign a decent image for the client. But Now he is asking for a rendering of a night scene and I have no idea where to start. 

Does anyone have any advice on how to get started on a night scene? Or, any tips on how to accomplish a cripser / clearer image? 

i have attached a few images of the type of work that I am talking about, the first file ISO VIEW DOORS UP, is a sample of the un-edited rendering that I get from using spotlights and reflective floor with white background. I have had moderate success with this.

The second image is one that he wants me to do in a night scene, with so much glass this image took 4 hours to render, and I dont really have the time to play around with night imagery. hoping for some assistance.

Intel(r) Xeon(R) CUPI E3-1505Mv5@2.80ghz
32 gb ram
win 10 x 64 bit OS x64 based processor
Autocad Plant Design Suite Ultimate 2017
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
darawork
in reply to: universalpiping

What rendering engine are you using? Scanline, vRay, Mental ray or iRay?

Could you list your system specs in your signature, I am wondering why the second image took four hours to render.

If you are lighting the scene with a Daylight System light (with MR sky environment map) you can drag the sun icon closer to the horizon to increase the time of day automatically; Light icon high above the model = Midday. Light icon close to horizon = Evening time. Light icon below the horizon = Night time.

I also helps if you have environmental lighting (press '8' on your keyboard for a shortcut to the dialogue box) as a dark colour, darker than the stand default white... and lower it's intensity from the default '1'.

Finding a nice background (Google images) would go a long way towards 'grounding' your model in the scene. Even try to use a HDR image for HDR lighting, this technique uses the lighter areas in a background (environment) image as sources for light energy. You may want to check that out on YouTube, I'm sure there's tons of easy tutorials up there for lighting a scene with a HDR image.

Also, taking a couple of screenshots of your rendering engine settings is always handy way for members to deduce if you have put the wrong numbers in somewhere.

Darawork
AutoDesk User
Windows 10/11, 3DS Max 2022/24, Revit 2022, AutoCad 2024, Dell Precision 5810/20, ASUS DIY, nVidia Quadro P5000/RTX 5000/GTX760

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report