Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rendering a hidden line wireframe with glow

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Flotilla
2965 Views, 4 Replies

Rendering a hidden line wireframe with glow

I am fairly new to 3DS Max and I am trying to work out how I can render out a hidden line wireframe with a glow to it.

I know how to get a wireframe render using a standard material with the 'wire' box ticked and I can get a glow on the wireframe using the effects/lens effects/glow method but I cant work out how to get the render to render the object as a 'hidden line wireframe' so that wires that should be hidden behind faces are not rendered.

I have tried the ink and paint material but I only seem to be able to

get an outline of the entire object with no lines rendered within.

below are the standard, ink and paint/glow and wireframe/glow examples

hope that makes sense, any pointers appreciated

standard.jpg

ink and paint.jpgWireframe with glow.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Flotilla

I found a solution to your problem using mental ray.

It consists of a blend shader with in the first slot a Matte/Shadow/Reflection shader and an arch & design shader with self-illumination enabled.

As for how it's set up:

- Add a "UVW Map" modifier to your object and set it to "Face", this way you can map an image to every single polygon.

- Then in your material editor create a "Gradient Ramp" and set its gradient type to "Box" and interpolation to "Solid"

- Adjust the gradient's colours to make a map where the border is completely white and the inside completely black.

- When you apply this gradient to every single face / polygon on your object, we'll simulate the wireframe effect.

- Create your Blend shader and put a "Matte/Shadow/Reflection" shader in slot 1 and an "arch & design" in slot 2.

- Then as a mask use the "Gradient Map" you just made.

- In the "Matte/Shadow/Reflection" shader turn off all the checkboxes (receive shadows, ao, receive reflections, receive indirect illumination)

- This makes it so that the wireframes are blocked out (hidden line effect) but our alpha channel doesn't contain the shape of the object.

- Now for the arch & design shader, set the diffuse & reflection colour slots to 0.

- Then plug the gradient map into an RGB Multiply map and the RGB Multiply map into the "Self-Illumination" slot of the arch & design shader. (This is important for the glow)

- The RGB Multiply lets you change the colour of your rendered lines.

- Then, make sure self illumination is enabled in your arch & design shader.

- Apply the Blend shader to your object and hit render.

- If the lines are too think, try adjusting the gradient map's colours.

Then for the glow:

- In your render settings (F10) got to the "Renderer" tab and scrool down to the "Camera Effects" rollout.

- In the "Camera Shaders" section enable the "Output" map. It's default is a Glare map.

- Now you can control the amount of Glow with both this map (Glare) and the self illumination "Luminance" of your arch & design shader.

I've attached a screenshot of the shader setup, a render and the maxfile for you to look at.

Hidden Line shader setup

Hidden Line render

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Small update, I decided to make a video tutorial out of this for my blog.

You can find it here: Hidden Line Rendering Turorial

Message 4 of 5
Flotilla

Thankyou so much for this.. Will give it a go today. The video tutorial is great and just the answer I needed.
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Glad I could help. 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report