Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Render gets locked to one viewport and can't be changed

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
colbey82
19084 Views, 11 Replies

Render gets locked to one viewport and can't be changed

Hi,

We've been having a problem for a while where Studio Max locks the renderable viewport so that no matter which view you have selected it always renders the same view.  Once this happens there is no way to change which view renders other than restarting the program.  And no this isn't because I have the camera locked in the render scene dialog!  It's incredible frustrating and I've had no luck resolving it.  Has anyone come across this before and know why it might happen?  We're using 2014 and Vray 2, although we experience the same issue in 2012.

Cheers

Nick

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
AlexRichards
in reply to: colbey82

How are you triggering the render - using the Render button on the F9 key?

3dsmax 2014-5 / Mudbox 2014-5

i7 8 core ~3.6ghz / 32GB RAM / Geforce GTX 770 4GB / 256GB SSD & 2TB HD / Dell 1920x1080 x2 / Wacom Bamboo Pen / Kensington Slimblade Trackball

https://twitter.com/looksfeels
Message 3 of 12
colbey82
in reply to: AlexRichards

With the F9 key.  Pretty sure it doesn't make a difference though.  We all generally use the Vray Frame Buffer as well but again I'm pretty sure once it's locked it doesn't matter whether you're using the Max Frame Buffer or the Vray one.

Nick

Message 4 of 12
AlexRichards

Ah, I think F9 is actually 'render last', so it will render the last viewport that was rendered, even if a different viewport is selected.  If you use the Render button on the Render Options panel, it should render using current active viewport.

i7 8 core ~3.6ghz / 32GB RAM / Geforce GTX 770 4GB / 256GB SSD & 2TB HD / Dell 1920x1080 x2 / Wacom Bamboo Pen / Kensington Slimblade Trackball

Message 5 of 12
colbey82

I wish it was so simple.  As it hasn't happened today I can't 100% confirm that pressing render doesn't do anything but I'm certain it makes no difference as I will have tried this in the past, along with changing the layout and maximising the view I want.  I just completely lose the ability to decide which view to render.

Nick

Message 6 of 12
AlexRichards

If it does turn out to be the cause, you can reassign the F9 key from 'Render Last' to 'Render Production' in the Customise User Interface options.  I know how handy the F9 shortcut is.

Alex

Message 7 of 12
AlexRichards
in reply to: AlexRichards

I had this problem today actually.  I saved a render preset with the render locked to a camera in the source scene.  When I loaded the preset in the new scene, there was no camera present.  So it seemed to lock to the perspective or ortho views and I couldn't change the render view to any other view, no matter what I did.

To fix it, I returned to the scene I saved the render preset in and unlocked the camera in the render panel and resaved the preset.  I had no problems afterwards, when I loaded this new preset in any new scene.

Alex

Message 8 of 12
edgardavid_23

Hi i had this trouble too. But i solved!! I don´t know why but te problem is that the viewport locks at the rendering frame window. Yo have to go to rendering->rendered frame window. There is a little padlock at the right of view port (in this selection is the anoying perspective). Only Unlock the padlock and try again rendering the selected view. 

Message 9 of 12
Blafirelli
in reply to: edgardavid_23

Many thanks for the tip, Edgar! It indeed works.

Interesting is, playing with the  padlock (i suppose it has the same function) in Render Setup window doesnt solve this...

Message 10 of 12
manodzit
in reply to: edgardavid_23

thanks that did the trick (first i was looking for this button to lock it to my camera... then i was trying to get rid of it as it locked it to my perspective cam and drove me nuts for 20 mins... didn't look into the default rendered frame window as i was using vray rt)

thank 🙂

m.

Message 11 of 12
Pawel.Olszewski
in reply to: manodzit

I had the same problem 

HERE IS A FIX that worked for me:

Just change renderer to Scanline

Click Render

Change renderer back to Vray

Message 12 of 12

it solved for gods sake you are awesome man!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report