Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure what to study - either textures or lighting for this effect...

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
DOM0
277 Views, 1 Reply

Not sure what to study - either textures or lighting for this effect...

Hello,

newbie here. I started out with Blender so I know some things and can model fairly decent.  I used texture nodes with basic cycles in lighting. and these are the two areas I need to learn more about.

I want to learn Maya and the biggest issue I am having is texture and or lighting. I'm not sure how animation films do it. I mean, do they use image textures and digital paint them and then, use mental ray shaders and such on th eimages?  I would like to learn this texture/slash lighting affect.  

I know I will need to learn mental ray, but can this affect be done with image textures, volume lighting and or dust particles or only photoshop and procedural texturing?  I appreciate anybody who  answers and can can lead me in the right direction and or links on how to learn this style for animation films . link to video on what i mean is here on a video i found it's exactly the textures I want to be able to make.  http://youtu.be/qmjHP9awRbk

1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
n8skow
in reply to: DOM0

I'd definitely go with texture maps (versus procedural shaders) to achieve the 'look' of the video.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report