Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nitrous viewport comparison between 2012 and 2014: Banding problem

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
xtravolution
1580 Views, 8 Replies

Nitrous viewport comparison between 2012 and 2014: Banding problem

So I have very recently moved over from Max 2012 to 2014. I was looking forward to the improvements that have been made to the nitrous viewport. While there are definite improvements, I have also had some serious problems with banding happening on my shadow maps when using 2014.

I have the exact same scene in 2012 (same camera, same lights, same everything) and there is no banding at all.

I have included a jpg to show the comparison.

I use the nitrous viewport all the time, so it would be great to know how to fix this. Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
BenBisares
in reply to: xtravolution

I don't see it in my tests. Could you attach an archive of your scene (Application Menu > Save As > Archive)? I'm curious as to why you're getting that behaviour.

Also do you have "Improve Quality Progressively" enbabled?  (Viewport Configuration > Display Performance)

Ben Bisares
Message 3 of 9
xtravolution
in reply to: BenBisares

Thanks for the feed back and sorry it took a while to get back to you. I have had to really dummy down the scene in order to send it.

To answer your question - yes I do have "Improve Quality Progressively" enabled.

Looking forward to hearing your results, and thanks again.

Message 4 of 9
BenBisares

No worries. Thanks for the scene. I just downloaded it and will do a bit of testing.

I'll keep you updated.

Ben Bisares
Message 5 of 9
BenBisares

Ok so I see the problem you're talking about. (With Nitrous only, Legacy Direct3D and OpenGL are OK) Tested with 3 different systems and GPUs and Max2014 with and without SP1.

There's no obvious way to fix this. I'll discuss things with my colleagues to see what they think.

I will probably log this one as a bug.

Ben Bisares
Message 6 of 9
xtravolution

Good to know that it wasn't stupidity on my side 😉

Just an intersting note: When I change the shadow type to Vray shadow map, I get perfect results. Weird. I will use this as a workaround until the bug is fixed.

Anyway - thanks for the help.

Message 7 of 9
BenBisares

@xtravolution wrote:

Good to know that it wasn't stupidity on my side 😉

Just an intersting note: When I change the shadow type to Vray shadow map, I get perfect results. Weird. I will use this as a workaround until the bug is fixed.

Anyway - thanks for the help.

My pleasure.

From our testing so far it seems like issue happens with Shadow Maps only. If you're in the mood for a little experimenting playing around with the shadow map size affects (but doesn't fix) that shadow artefact only with sizes under 512 (I was just going by powers of 2 for the time being). Possible clue as to what is going on.

Because of that, tried playing around with the maps sizes for the Nitrous Display Performance but it didn't seem to do anything.

In any case, logging this one as a bug. If there's any info of note I'll post it here.

Ben Bisares
Message 8 of 9
spacefrog_

guys - this is no bug,

using a shadow map with high sampling range on a sunlight which comes in on flat angle on a terrain is in no way an adequate technique. If you insist using it though, it helps turning down the sampling range ( ~1.0 )  .

But i repeat, using a shadow map in such a situtation gives you problems in the viewport and most probably later on in the rendering too. Thats nothing to do with Nitrous, more like that nitrous in 2014 displays shadows more close to the real render output. This is in fact a render and light setup problem, shadow maps as a technique will break or are at their limits in situations like this scene

Josef Wienerroither
Software Developer & 3d Artist Hybrid
Message 9 of 9
xtravolution
in reply to: spacefrog_

Thanks for the input. However it is still a bug since these problems do not occur in the exact same scene when using Max 2012. This is a Max 2014 bug.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report