Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya Mental Ray render using only 25% CPU on 1 PC (via Deadline)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
ImaComputer
8592 Views, 5 Replies

Maya Mental Ray render using only 25% CPU on 1 PC (via Deadline)

Trying to resolve a problem we're having where one of our render boxes is maxing out at 25% - 35% cpu usage. We're using Maya 2013 and the job is being submitted via Deadline 6. The computer in question is an i7-3770 based computer, so it has 4 cores, it's running Windows 7. Other computers are maxing out at 100%, and the are a mix of i7 and Xenon based computers, 5 in total in the render group. The real worl results is that similar speced computers are getting frames done in say 15 minutes, it's taking this computer 35 -40 minutes to render the same frames.

At first I though it might be a hardware issue, so I ran Prime95 but cpus went to 100%. I also submitted a Cinema 4D job and it maxed the cpu out at 100%, so it's only with Maya renders. We tried various files, all mental ray files.

I've gone in and changed power setting to make sure it was on high performance and make sure nothing else is running, not sure where to go from here. Thoughts would be appreciated.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
arturcarrilho
in reply to: ImaComputer

Render > Batch Render > turn on "Use All Available Processors"

Hope this help...

Message 3 of 6
ImaComputer
in reply to: arturcarrilho

@arturcarrilho Thanks for the reply, but we are submitting jobs through Deadline. There is an option to specify how many threads and we've played with that but it still doesn't solve the issue for this one computer. Other computers are fine, maxing out CPU usage at 100%.

Message 4 of 6
visu

if you use the embbeded Render command, adding option -art in the cmd ( Render -r mr -art ... ) solve the problem.

You can also save locally to the server account for maya a prefs specifying to use all threads.

Message 5 of 6
rahulrohilla
in reply to: visu

The Machine on which it is not using 100% cpu .

Open maya in that machine ( Go to Option "Render" then go to Batch render click on the BOX then "UNTick AUTO RENDER THREAD" change it to the no. of cpu you wanna use . and close the the batch render window .

Now go to File option and and save preferences .

It Will Solve your problem .
Message 6 of 6
ImaComputer

Just an update. First off thanks to everyone who replied, much appreciated.

It turns out unchecking "Use MayaBatch Plugin" in the Advanced Options tab when submitting job seems to have resolved the issue. 

Doing a render now and all machines are cranking away at 100%.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report