Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2014 Mental Ray hair animation problem

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
candypen
1182 Views, 15 Replies

Maya 2014 Mental Ray hair animation problem

I am making an animation film using maya 2014.

I created hair using curves and maya hair, and attached the hair to the bone of the characters body using P key.

The hair moves along the character just fine in the viewport and maya software render.

But when I use mental ray, for some reason the hair dosen't follow the character. Why is that? Please help

problem.jpg

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
steve_r
in reply to: candypen

mental ray should use exactly the same hair geometry as other Maya renderers, since it is querying the same data. Do you see this problem when you render a preview of a frame inside Maya ?
Message 3 of 16

Hello,

did you menage to fix the problem?
Message 4 of 16

I ma having the same problem. viewport is ok mental ray render shows hair dislocated. Please let me know if you menagae to fix it. 

Message 5 of 16

Do you have a scene, or steps to reproduce ?
Message 6 of 16

I will send the scene and screen shots in few hours. Thanks! 

Message 7 of 16

Hello,

My hair looks good on vieport during movement. I am attaching screen shots of the viewport and render. I parented hair system to the bone. 

Message 8 of 16

I also tried Maya software and its fine..... I do not know what is wrong with mental ray.....

Message 9 of 16

Message 10 of 16

Perhaps due to the way you animated ? Turn off "Render Settings / Options / Translation / Performance / Optimize Animation Detection" and render again.
Message 11 of 16

I turned it off, and render the frame. The same issue. The animation is simple, she just turns her head.
Message 12 of 16

I guess it must be mental ray sincemaya renderer is fine. Maybe there are other options in mental ray for hair?
Message 13 of 16

First of all, it's about what type of Maya hair solution you are using: Maya Hair, Paint Effects, xGen ? They are handled differently for mental ray. A scene would be nice.
Message 14 of 16

Hello I am using Nhair. I want make them stiff and not being dynamic at the end, but they still moving. I am attaching the scene.

Thank You

Message 15 of 16

Ok, The attachemement is too large, Can I send you on email message?  My email is : kucharska.zuzanna333@gmail.com.

Thank You for your time ! 

Message 16 of 16

Make sure you Zip the scene (.ma and .mb files will not attach). Size limit is 5MB, if larger than that use a file sharing service such as dropbox.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report