Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lighting Analysis and MR: CIE Clear Sky

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
207 Views, 1 Reply

Lighting Analysis and MR: CIE Clear Sky

I'm in the middle of doing a series of day-lighting studies in Max 2010 Design and have come across a snag.

As background I've modeled the classroom wing of a new school in Revit and imported into Max via FBX. I've placed a new daylight system (using the CIE Clear Sky model) in the model and have been using light meters to get footcandle readings in a series of spaces. This is using MR Final Gather only, following the direction of the white paper posted on ADSK's website. I'm running calculations on three separate lighting conditions: clear sky at 9AM and 3PM, and an overcast sky condition.

The problem occurs in the MR Sky: CIE Parameters box. This gives the values for DIFFUSE HORIZ and DIRECT NORMAL ILLUMINANCE. I think I understand what these values represent, (the amount of energy landing on a horizontal surface from a diffuse sky and from a direct beam of sunlight.) What I don't understand is why I can change these values. It seems like they should be a function of the sky model (date, time and location.) Also as I switch between clear sky and overcast I have to zero out the DIRECT NORMAL ILLUMINANCE. When I switch back to clear sky I have to place a value in this box to get direct sunlight. When I do this max changes the value to a new number, but this number is dependent on the value I entered. So the question is how do I know I have the right value for my analysis?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, the white paper is vague on this point. Thanks.

Ian
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Does anyone have an answer for this? This really affects the output of the lighting analysis and subsequently the accuracy of the tool. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report