Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Glitter Material

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
hoaken_1
5464 Views, 4 Replies

Glitter Material

Anyone with any advice on creating a glitter material? I want to create a glitter ball so when I orbit it, I get lots of nice sparkly lights.

I assume a glitter material is effectively lots of small shiny material with their normals randomly distributed.

I managed to produce a rough approximation using standard material but it wouldnt produce the sparkly lights when I move around it.

glitterball01.zip

3DS Max 6 to 2009, Maya 2010
NVIDIA Quadro 1700, Quad Core 2.67GHz, 4Gb RAM
www.beanboxanimation.co.uk
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
samab
in reply to: hoaken_1

Experiment with the Car Paint shader and it's Flakes parameters. You can set the other colours to black to get just flakes from it. Set Flake Reflections (raytraced) above the default 0.

Message 3 of 5
hoaken_1
in reply to: samab

sorry for the late reply.

Cheers, I will give that a go and see if it will give a glittering effect when the camera moves around it.
Message 4 of 5
soulburn

here's an ugly hack that may do what you need...

http://www.neilblevins.com/cg_education/sparkling_snow/sparkling_snow.htm

- Neil
Message 5 of 5
hoaken_1

Cheers for ya replies guys.

I have tried both methods but I cant get it right. Using the Car shader, because the flakes themselves are not reflective (or have I got this wrong?) I dont get the rapid changes in reflection with I move around. It looks more like a flat flake texture than a surface with lots of random faces , reflecting light from different angles.

Using the animated map method, I get more of a swimming (like moving water) effect than a speckling look.

Any further advice on either methods?

Regards

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums