Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default Lighting Hot Spots - How to Turn Off

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
mattsons
2249 Views, 8 Replies

Default Lighting Hot Spots - How to Turn Off

Hello. This globe is self illuminated (check box checked to illuminate scene) with no other lights in scene, final gather enabled. I want to turn off the hot spots created by the default lighting system, is this possible? thanks

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
PROH
in reply to: mattsons

Hi. To turn off the default light simply create a new light in the scene - and then set this light as wanted, or turn it off, to have complete darkness. If you want to turn on the default light again, then delete any lights in the scene.

Hope it helps
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 3 of 9
mattsons

thank you for the response, adding a light and turning it off does remove this hot spot effect. Is it possible though to remove the hotspot reflection from the surface while still having the light on? i have a new light on that is creating the outer light effect i want around the globe but is creating a small spot on the globe itself. just wondering if this is possible to remove. thanks!

Message 4 of 9
ekahennequet

You can turn off "Specular" by unchecking it in your light's Advanced Effects setting or set the Glossiness of the Material to 0, but note that these settings will make your surface to look matte.

Lighting and Shading >  Lights > Common Lighting Rollouts and Dialogs >  Advanced Effects Rollout:

http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/16/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/index.html?url=files/GUID-A5AB2530-3AB0-40FD-AAC...

Message 5 of 9
jeff

There are a couple of ways to approach this: One, go to the Advanced Effects properties of the light(s) and turn off "Specular". You can also dial down the specular amount in your material(s), both "shinyness" and "amount".

Max since 1992 (3d Studio) · Win 10-64 · Wintel workstation · 64 GB RAM · nVidia Quadro RTX 4000 · BB render garden via Deadline
Message 6 of 9
jeff
in reply to: jeff

ah -- ! -- eka beat me to it.
Max since 1992 (3d Studio) · Win 10-64 · Wintel workstation · 64 GB RAM · nVidia Quadro RTX 4000 · BB render garden via Deadline
Message 7 of 9
mattsons

haha thank you both. i turned down the glossiness in reflections, just enough to where it disapeared but the material didn't go completey matte. Thanks again 🙂

Message 8 of 9
ekahennequet

Jeff, if it's any consolation, I accepted your post as Solution. 🙂

Matt, if you get around to playing with it some more later, some people also use the "white card" trick by reflecting an object (often rectangular to look like a window) that mimics the light source. This way, you can still get that reflective look without the light's default hotspot. You basically place that object with 100% illumination directly in front of the light and turn off Visible to Camera and Cast Shadows in Object Property. You keep the Glossiness setting in your Material, but turn off the Specular in your light by unchecking it. You can adjust the intensity of the "white card" object by assigning an Output Map to its Diffuse slot and adjust the Output amount.

Message 9 of 9
mattsons
in reply to: ekahennequet

oh excellent, thank you so much! you are basically projecting and inverse shadow, i love it!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report