Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backburner launching the wrong version of 3ds Max

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
KristofferHelander
520 Views, 2 Replies

Backburner launching the wrong version of 3ds Max

I'm trying to use Backburner in the classroom (I'm a teacher with full access), it works fine. Except it launches 3ds Max Design 2013, and that version av Max does not have V-Ray install, so it can't render! When double clicking the max-file in explorer, the file is opened in the correct version, 3ds Max 2013 (not Design!). We have both the Building Suite and Entertainment Suite installed on our systems.

How can I tell Backburner what version of Max to use?

Cheers! 

Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

Hmm, I've been poking around 2 folders where I thought a configuration file could be changed, but no luck I'm afraid.

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Local\backburner

C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\Backburner

Maybe someone else has had this problem, I've never mixed Max and Max Design on one computer...

Message 3 of 3
BenBisares
in reply to: Midge_S

You can verify what program Backburner is going use ot render the job by checking the job xml file. You'll find it on the computer running the Backburner Manager in the following folder:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\backburner\Jobs\xxxxxxxx Jobname

If you open the xml file there look for the "plugin" section. Should look something like this:

-<Plugin>

<PlugName>Autodesk 3ds Max Design 2014 (64-bit)</PlugName>

<PlugVersion>300</PlugVersion>

</Plugin>

So you can see for me that particular job is using Max Design 2014 64-bit.

You can also see a copy of the job on the Backburner Server computers in the same place except it will be in the "ServerJob" folder rather than the "Jobs" folder.

As for the mixing of Max and Max Design, I have the 64 and 32 bit versions of Max and Max Design from 2014 all the way back to 2010 installed and so far everyone plays together nicely with Backburner. Although I did log an issue a while back where if you submit job as 32-bit from a 64-bit program Backburner will not use any 32-bit copies at first. You needed to cancel and resubmit for it to work properly. The opposite (64 to 32 bit) held true also.

Just another thing to add, the file associations on your computer have no infuence on what Backburner will use for the job

Hope this helps.

Ben Bisares

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report