Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alpha Channel - texture of polygon goes over polygon that is in front of it.

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Thrasill
951 Views, 11 Replies

Alpha Channel - texture of polygon goes over polygon that is in front of it.

So I have these to clumps of hair. In the first picture, it's like it should be: the polygons of the clump circled in red are actually above the polygons of the second clump. But when I change the angle of the camera a bit... the texture of the second clump goes over the texture of the clump above it. This happens only in Shaded Mode and in Unity it behaves the same. What is the problem?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
PROH
in reply to: Thrasill

Hi. Are the 2 objects coplanar, or touching each other? If so, the program can't decide which object to be nearest the camera, and will shift object all the time. Separate the 2 objects with a distance big enough to make the program stop "flipping".

Hope it helps.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 3 of 12
Thrasill
in reply to: PROH

Nope. It doesn't work. I can separate them as much as I want. The bug is still there Here is a more clear example. The first picture is from a top view. The second picture is fine as the clump in front appears in front. The third picture is take from the other side and the clump in the back appears still in front. The normals are all oriented one way, they are separated. What could be the problem. I even applied a normal modifier and that clump still appears in the front no matter what is the view. What could be the problem. And again that happens only in Shaded mode and in Unity.

Message 4 of 12
PROH

Could you upload the file, or part of the file incl. textures, so we can examine it closer?
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018

Message 5 of 12
Thrasill

Here. Thanks for having a look. I put the whole hair and cloned the 2 clumps in the screenshots near it, but the whole hair is messed. I sent in psd format, seems I cannot send rar, nor tga format. You'll have to save it TGA.

Message 6 of 12
PROH

Hi. We do need the Max file with all your settings to check it properly. Just make an "Archive" as a zip file and upload it.
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018

Message 7 of 12
Thrasill

Ups. Didn't notice that zip was available. 🙂 Here.

Message 8 of 12
Thrasill

But of course I forgot to replace the psd file with the tga.

Message 9 of 12
PROH

Hi. Had a look at your file. I can't recall having seen this problem before, and I honestly don't know what's causing it, but I did find a way to avoid it:

1 - Make a Multi/Sub-Object material with 2 copies of your hair material. The two are equal but must be "unique" - not instanced. Give them different names.

2 - In the objects Modifier Roll Out, scroll down to "Surface Properties" and give the elements in the back Material ID 1, and the elements in front Material ID 2.

3 - Assign your Multimaterial to the object.

Now it should behave as intended (it did here).

Hope it helps 🙂

3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018

Message 10 of 12
Thrasill

Hi. I thought I'd get a more normal solution. :)) Any way, thanks a lot! This works both in 3ds max and Unity, but **** what a weird thing this is. How did you even thought about this? I'm still curious though, what causes it. Anyway, thank you for helping me. 🙂
Message 11 of 12
Thrasill

I said "d.amn". Really? They censor this?
Message 12 of 12
Thrasill

I actually managed to fix it in Unity without fixing it in 3ds Max. I changed the material shader of the hair to Transparent>Cutout>Soft Edge Unit and it looks fine.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report