Community
3ds Max Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s 3ds Max Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular 3ds Max materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3ds Max: Do scenes prepaired for V-Ray be renered in Mental Ray ? (Help Needed)

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
537 Views, 4 Replies

3ds Max: Do scenes prepaired for V-Ray be renered in Mental Ray ? (Help Needed)

As the title says, I wonder if scenes prepaired by V-Ray be rendered by Mental ray. I'm still a beginnger, and don't quite get the difference between the two, accoring to my proff he said the material and colors shouldn't differ much, but it has more to do with lighting.

Also, I did get the part about the v-ray proxy and its own grass and terrain. But what else ? do some human figuers work on V-Ray and not on M-ray, do textures and materials differe ? or is the scenes comletely useless, and could not be adapted to work on M-Ray.

Thanks tons.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
BenBisares
in reply to: Anonymous

The two are not compatible unfortunately. A scene from V-Ray will open in mental ray but any V-Ray specific elements like lights, camera, materials, etc. will not function properly. Example V-Ray materials will just render black.

Insofar as I know only the meshes can be scavenged by replacing any V-Ray materials with mental ray compatible ones.

Any one else in the community feel free to chime in if I missed anything.

Ben Bisares
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Alright, thanks a lot.

But what if I manually assign all the material jps and bumps onto Arch & Design or Promaterials, and render on m-ray. Do I get similar results, as it was on V-Ray ?

Message 4 of 5
PROH

Hi. You'll have to change V-Ray lights to Max lights aswell. You can make similar result with mr, but there's no automatic. It's all up to you to make it happen.

Hope it helps

___________________________________________________________________________________________________
3dsMax 4.2 to 2018
AutoCAD 2000 to 2018
Infrastructure Design Suite Premium 2012 to 2018

Message 5 of 5
CAMedeck
in reply to: PROH

There are free scripts available that will convert materials in your scene to V-Ray or Mental Ray.  They are not perfect, but they give you a good start.  

Chris Medeck
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report