Announcements
The Scaleform forum is now read-only. Please head to the Gamedev site for product support.
Scaleform Forum (Read Only)
Scaleform enables developers to leverage the power of the Adobe® Flash® tool set to create powerful user interface environments for video games.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem on Android with obb files

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
969 Views, 7 Replies

Problem on Android with obb files

Hi,

I'm currently working on a project with a lot of .swf assets, and I have a problem when building on Android.

As you might know, the maximum allowed size for an apk to be uploaded on google play is 50 mb. So you have to split your application into an apk < 50 mb and several .obb files that contains the data.

Unity has a feature that do that automatically. 

The problem is that the content of the StreamingAssets/ folder is moved in the .obb and that scaleform can't access it, because the path seems to be hardcoded in the .dll, and we can't find a way to tell Scaleform where to look.

Am I missing something? Is Anybody having the same problem?

This seems unlikely that Autodesk has not think of this possibility...

This is kind of urgent, we need to release this application really soon.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
OPtoss
in reply to: Anonymous

This issue has been posted before. See this discussion. 

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Scaleform-Unity-Development/Streaming-Assets-on-Split-APK/m-p/4757233/...

Basically, I had to resort to independent SWFs, no external files, no GFX conversion, etc. Scaleform hasn't fixed this issue yet. 

Hope this helps,

-K

Message 3 of 8
ramspeed25
in reply to: OPtoss

Did this get addressed in the July update? We're running into the same issue. Did anyone find a fix?

Message 4 of 8
adam.petrone
in reply to: ramspeed25

Loading from an OBB is not fixed, yet.

It has been partially addressed in the latest update. That is, if you extract the OBBs to a path, you can instruct SF Unity to load resources relative to that path. There's a movieName parameter passed to CreationParams for this purpose. See use of Util.cs, CreateSwf. The last parameter is the movieName, which should be the full path to the swf/gfx you're loading.

Unfortunately, I do not have an estimate when the OBB issue can be properly addressed.

Regards,

Adam

Message 5 of 8
ramspeed25
in reply to: adam.petrone

Cool, Adam, thank you -- it looks like there's a workaround then anyway.

If I could ask a followup question:

I'm reducing memory by loading large graphics in and out manually. I have these sitting in the Streaming Assets folder and this works fantastic on both Android and iOS. Will this conflict at all with the OBB situation?

Thanks again!

Message 6 of 8
adam.petrone
in reply to: ramspeed25

This depends on two factors:

1) On Unity and where it draws the line at splitting the APK and OBB. From experience, Unity tries attempts dependency heuristics based on its own assets and what you need to load the first scene.

2) How you're loading the graphics.

If you're using Unity to load the images, you're fine. It handles the APK/OBB divide seamlessly.

If you're loading a swf/gfx which, in turn, loads one of those graphics, it will likely fail unless you use the workaround I mentioned above.

I hope that helps,

Adam

Message 7 of 8
OPtoss
in reply to: adam.petrone

The latter is always the case if you follow the scaleform pipeline of converting to GFX files with sidecar atlases. Thus, the "workaround" isn't really a good fix. I can only hope this is prioritized in your future development plans.
Message 8 of 8
Goldenbear
in reply to: OPtoss

I'd like to second the urgency for fixing AS3 loading from an obb file.

Our OBB is in excess of 200MB so not practical to extract out the contents.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report