Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

whats going on with 3d solids

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
tony.ridley
616 Views, 3 Replies

whats going on with 3d solids

Hi,

I have a simple model to check as a 3d volumetric structure.  Its 2 side by side I beams, joined with plate elements on the flanges and stiffened on the webs too.

Problem 1:

I mesh it using a pretty coarse mesh, it takes 25 minutes to mesh.  When I run the calculation I get an error saying mesh error (ie not refined enough).  When I change the mesh parameters, it then takes 2,5 hours to mesh.  Then I get the same mesh error anyway.  Rafal has already answered this for me here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Robot-Structural/Distorted-Element-in-3D-solids/m-p/3213330/h...  But I'm still not happy with this functionality.  Honestly, for the time it takes just to mesh the solid to this level of mesh density (a few hours - seriously), my boss will just give the job to the ANSYS/Strand 7 user in our office and I end up looking silly :(.   I ask how can it possiby take this long to mesh a simple object. 

Problem 2:

After I define the solid, I apply a load to one side.  If I click on this side in the object inspector, it highlights it red, so I know I am selecting the right side.  But when I apply planar load to that side, it applies the load to a completely different one.  I have previously reported the error - http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Robot-Structural/Adding-Loads-to-3d-solids/m-p/3213336/highli... -  but I'm not really happy with the response (sorry Pawel, nothing personalSmiley Happy). 

Sorry to bring up 2 old issues at once, but I really had a bad day in Robot today.  Smiley Mad

I love Robot for many reasons, but I can't get why the volumetric solids module is even included while it's so clunky.  Strand 7 really makes Robot look silly today. 

Tony

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
tony.ridley
in reply to: tony.ridley

bump.........................Smiley Indifferent

Message 3 of 4
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: tony.ridley

Tony,

In fact Robot is \ was not designed to handle complex solids. It was intended to allow users to model large foundations, with rather simple geometry, rather extruded \ revolved.

For something more complex we recommend using ACIS modeling. Meshing times - it depends but nothing to compare with ANSYS.

From curiosity - please send us model.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 4 of 4
tony.ridley
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Rafal,

Thanks for your honest answer.  I will send the model at the end of this week.

Tony

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report