Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

large number of segments in panel geometry

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
sirkris
821 Views, 16 Replies

large number of segments in panel geometry

After  calculations, edge of panels are divided in nodes where mesh was generated, so I have after calculations a lot of segmnents in panel geometry definition. I would like to apply line load on slab edge, so I would like to get only one segment on straight slab edge. Even if I delete mesh, panel geometry still have those subsegments.

Is there any way to have panel geometry segments the same as in  beginning stage when I defined contours?

11.PNG

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: sirkris

Please check:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Robot-Structural/Edges-A-lot-of-small-pieces/m-p/3379267/

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Robot-Structural/editing-slab-contour-geometry/m-p/3223160/

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 17
sirkris
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Thanks,

That is not simply solution, I expected to get.

I have suggestion for your development team: Can they add automaticaly nodes when contour points are defined?  When user move node,  contour would be automaticaly updated.

Can the array of such nodes be saved in memory, so we can easy get unmodified contour definition without hand made merging? 

Regards,

kris

Message 4 of 17
Rafal.Gaweda

Message 5 of 17
sirkris
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

I appreciate your macros, but the question is: why we need to use external macros, and they are not added as a part of Autodesk product ???  With regards, but your macros were written about 2 years ago.

Could you send your macro to your development team?

kris

Message 6 of 17
Rafal.Gaweda

You do not need it at all. 

Just use robot : http://screencast.com/t/3m3tw2k75Iw (surprise :-)) 

Rafal Gaweda
Message 7 of 17
sirkris

This is easy for slab where you have 6 nodes - I have about 50. I need to track which node is needed and  which not .

I do not have slab edges vertical and horizontal - this will take me ages to update it. But it looks that i do not have choice- I give up.

Message 8 of 17
Rafal.Gaweda

Going back to your first post: why did you divide panels' edges in so many pieces ?

Rafal Gaweda
Message 9 of 17
Artur.Kosakowski

You can try to define a 'dummy' beam along the edge you want to apply load to and use the bar load instead or you can try to define a line load by two points rather than using load on panel's edge.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 10 of 17
sirkris
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Rafal,

I did not - Robot split edges after mesh generation.

Message 11 of 17
Rafal.Gaweda

I do not believe.

If possible do it again, record movie and post it here.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 12 of 17
sirkris

Rafal,

Unfortunately I removed all slabs, restarted robot  and I defined  them again.

Now edges stay as at the beginning.   Previously each edge of mesh element was contour segment.  The only proof is the picture I attached in first post. I cannot repeat this situation now. 

kris

Message 13 of 17
sirkris

Rafal wrote: I do not believe.

Rafal,

Situation I described earlier happened again (see picture below) :

I found, that this happens when I corrected  bars intersections. It seems that Robot recognize some edges of FEM as bars, (what is strange, not all of them are split).

Another strange behaviour is, that Robot also removed line loads on edges (not all of them).

Could you explain such strange behaviour?

12.PNG

Message 14 of 17
Rafal.Gaweda

I found, that this happens when I corrected  bars intersections. It seems that Robot recognize some edges of FEM as bars,

It is correct. You can divided edges by dividing them by nodes.

Another strange behaviour is, that Robot also removed line loads on edges (not all of them).

No, not removed. It should be assgned to one edge from this division. I mean if edge 1 was divided in 10 parts the load should be still applied to egde 1.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 15 of 17
sirkris

It is correct. You can divided edges by dividing them by nodes.

The only problem is that after if I need to change some edge line loads, I need to add it on many small pieces. So I doubt this is correct. Can you explain rule, how edges are split? Some of them are not split.

This  is confusing - FEM edges are not bars.

No, not removed. It should be assgned to one edge from this division. I mean if edge 1 was divided in 10 parts the load should be still applied to egde 1.

Some loading disappear after bar intersections

Before bars intersections: 

13.PNG

After bar intersections: 

14.PNG

Message 16 of 17
Rafal.Gaweda

I will investigate it.

Use correction settings as below:

corr.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 17 of 17
Rafal.Gaweda

It seems it works like that now (We need to correct it or disable it but...)

- in case of Coons meshing - egde 1 and 3 are divided by all nodes , other edges by nodes of other panels - but not always

- in case of Delauney meshing - let's assume - "randomly".

Workaround in post above.

Rafal Gaweda

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report