Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

elevated conical tank:seismic and hydrodynamic loads calculation

35 REPLIES 35
Message 1 of 36
REDO10
2156 Views, 35 Replies

elevated conical tank:seismic and hydrodynamic loads calculation

Hi,
I'm looking for an exemple of modeling seismic and hydrodynamic loads for an elevated conical tank!
I tried modeling it, but when I define masses, the following message appears " load by hydrostatic pressure can not be converted into masses. delete the hydrostatic pressure of the case converted"

I can't attach my file bellow, because it's too large (114 Mo).

thanks.

35 REPLIES 35
Message 21 of 36
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: REDO10

I calculated the impulsive force and mass induced by the method of HOUZNER and got the following results:                 Fi (impulsive force) = -4562 KN  and  Mi (impulsive mass ) = 1028 t.

how can I enter these values?

What is that?

1- I used Houzner's method to calculate hydrodynamic forces generated when seisme happen and I obtained the results above, I want now assign the mass calculated (Mi=1028t) to my model, so pls do that for me (I attached my file below)

We found this article : http://authors.library.caltech.edu/26535/1/Housner_gw_1954.pdf

Our understanding is that you have to calculate mass for each "strip" and apply them on model. You can do it by connecting liquid strip center of gravity (each) with applied mass to walls - in robot by rigid links, thus this approach will make model not real - too stiff. You have to distribute this mass (for each strip) to wall nodes of this strip to make it more real.

If our understaning is not correct please explain.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 22 of 36
REDO10
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Hi Rafal,

Thx for your reply

and for enter mass value that I calculated as shown above, can you do that for me pls or make a demonstration to enter correct value?

Message 23 of 36
Rafal.Gaweda

My assuptions = example

The strip (in red) - "3 rows of nodes":

striptank.jpg

36 - number of nodes of circle

Mi=1028 (strip mass)

mass applied to any node from yellow set =  mass applied to any node from green set = 1028 *0.25 / 36 =257 

mass applied to any node from blue set =  1028 *0.5 / 36 = 514

these masses should act at least in XY directions or XYZ , apply them to Modal case

or as forces in masse_eau case (I guess) and then convert this case to masses

Rafal Gaweda
Message 24 of 36
REDO10

Hi,

why you chose the tower in your example, the mass should be applied to the tank!
look at my capture below, my modeling is correct according to your demonstration?

thx.

Message 25 of 36
Rafal.Gaweda

why you chose the tower in your example, 

For the simplicity.

look at my capture below, my modeling is correct according to your demonstration?

Yes.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 26 of 36
REDO10

I think it is not correct, because I noticed that the forces directed along the Y axis are not diametrically opposed!?...They must be oriented along the local axis! Smiley Frustrated

Message 27 of 36
REDO10

Pls Rafal, enter these values in my model, I will be very grateful

thnks

Message 28 of 36
REDO10

normally the mass must be applied along the axis 3  of noueds, but how to do that?

Message 29 of 36
REDO10

Hi,

my modelization is correct now?

I used uniforme planar load on contour to define load!

masses.JPG

thx.

Message 30 of 36
REDO10

@Rafal.Gaweda wrote:

My assuptions = example

The strip (in red) - "3 rows of nodes":

striptank.jpg

36 - number of nodes of circle

Mi=1028 (strip mass)

mass applied to any node from yellow set =  mass applied to any node from green set = 1028 *0.25 / 36 =257 

mass applied to any node from blue set =  1028 *0.5 / 36 = 514

these masses should act at least in XY directions or XYZ , apply them to Modal case

or as forces in masse_eau case (I guess) and then convert this case to masses

1-Why u've chosen 3 rows of noeds? why not 4 or 5...or simply 1 ? and how can I know the exact level for applying masses?

2- If I chosen to add masses in modal case, should I select more rows too or apply them simply in 1 row ?

3-  I've enter the values such as you indicated in "masse_eau" case then convert them to masses, but when I launched calculation, this error message appears

erreur_5000.JPG

so I've applyed them in modal case, and I obtained the results below, which seem to me wrong, especially the sum of the masses in the modal analysis and the moment along the Y axis and the shear along the X axis in combination case "G+Q+E"

modales_results.JPG

reactions.JPG

thx

so

Message 31 of 36
Rafal.Gaweda

1-Why u've chosen 3 rows of noeds? why not 4 or 5...or simply 1 ?

for simplicity, as an example

and how can I know the exact level for applying masses?

You should know how you calcaulated masses, from which range.

2- If I chosen to add masses in modal case, should I select more rows too or apply them simply in 1 row ?

See above

3-  I've enter the values such as you indicated in "masse_eau" case then convert them to masses, but when I launched calculation, this error message appears

so I've applyed them in modal case, and I obtained the results below, which seem to me wrong, especially the sum of the masses in the modal analysis and the moment along the Y axis and the shear along the X axis in combination case "G+Q+E"

File please.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 32 of 36
REDO10

Hi Rafal,

@Rafal.Gaweda wrote:

1-Why u've chosen 3 rows of noeds? why not 4 or 5...or simply 1 ?

for simplicity, as an example

and how can I know the exact level for applying masses?

You should know how you calcaulated masses, from which range.

See above

File please.

My file is attached to my post N°17 in page 2 (elevated_tank_1000)

Thx.

Message 33 of 36
Rafal.Gaweda

My results for model from post 17

tank1000.jpg

Rafal Gaweda
Message 34 of 36
REDO10

Hi Rafal,

I forgot to enter the mass in the old file you calculate, so pls check this new file where I get error 5000,

question:

should I check disregrad density in modal option?

comment my results pls!

Message 35 of 36
Rafal.Gaweda

Errors because of loads to mass conversion of case 17

Rafal Gaweda
Message 36 of 36
Rafal.Gaweda

correct loads:

case17.jpg

Rafal Gaweda

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report