Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

deflection of cantilever stairs

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Opel5
1132 Views, 5 Replies

deflection of cantilever stairs

Afternoon,

I'm trying to model some basic stair slabs which are cantilevered off 2 RC walls. The vertical end deflection of the upper platform doesnt seem to be showing in the results. Have I missed something? I've attached the RTD file in zipped format.

Many thanks in advance for any helpful feedback! 🙂

Scott

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Opel5

Scott,

The definitions of loads in cases 2 and 3 are incorrect - you don't have results for these cases therefore you have no results for combination 4 too.

incorrect load definition.PNG

I have tried to correct these loads but check if the values are right (corrected model attached).

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 6
Opel5
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Many thanks for the speedy reply Artur! Excellent, nice to see it working.

The practical allocations of FE planar loading seems a bit confusing, as there seems to be multiple ways of allocating the loads to the panels. In this instance I added planar loads to each panel in turn which caused the error. Is there a particular PDF resource that you'd recommend which explains the allocation sequence fairly clearly?

Message 4 of 6
Opel5

Argh, sorry back again!

On switching the uniform load back to a planar load (to simulate the area loading from a concrete screed / tiles / grout etc) the same error occurs. I've attached a screenshot and the RTD file.

If anyone knows how to deal with this error where connecting panel edges meet please let me know.

Many Thanks,

Scott

Message 5 of 6
Artur.Kosakowski

What is the way you define the planar load? If you use the 3 point definition (variable surface load) make sure the A,B.C points are not the same and are not defined along a line.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 6
Opel5
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Hi There,

I've managed to solve the problem by specifying "surface on object" planar loads rather than "FE planar loads". It's working well now without the calculation error messages at FE panel edges coming up. Thanks for the speedy feedback

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report