Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adding stiffeners to a plate

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
tamararr
1726 Views, 9 Replies

adding stiffeners to a plate

Hi!

I would like to know if it is possible to add longitudinal stiffeners to a plate and how to check the plate buckling and the lateral buckling on it.

Thank you in advance!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: tamararr

You can try to define vertical panels under the horizontal one that defines the plate and then run buckling analysis. Mind to create the model as a shell rather than a plate to have all d.o.fs available.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 10
tamararr
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Thank you for your help!

I already have the model but, when I click on Calculation it says I have a model with separate elements. How can I join all the elements in a solid structure? Thank you again!

Message 4 of 10
Artur.Kosakowski

Most likely by correcting the inaccuracy in the model. You can use the detailed correct option that has been referred to in some other topics on this forum. Pease mind that if you open the node selection dialog and switch to the Group tab you will find a $SUBxxx$ group. When selected it will show all the nodes that belong to the 'separate' part of your model which should help ion finding what to correct.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 10
tamararr

Hi again!

The separate parts of the structure are the stiffeners I defined as plates. When I select the $SUBxxx$ groups, the points corresponding to the mid plane of these elements are selected so this would mean this are the parts to correct. But when I try to use the detail correct tool, nothing happens. Do you know what can be wrong in the model?

Thank you for your help!

Regards,

Tamara

Message 6 of 10
Artur.Kosakowski

Could you attach the model please?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 7 of 10
tamararr

Here you are!

Thank you for your help

Regards,

Tamara

Message 8 of 10
Artur.Kosakowski

Tamara,

I'd say you have to decide what kind of model you are in; is it a shell or a solid? Smiley Happy

As it is the shell the thickness of a panel is just its attribute similar to a section applied to a bar and in 'reality' panels are just the kind of rectangles rather than rectangular prisms. If you look at the picture I attached you can see that my 'stiffener' is defined as the vertical panel rather than being horizontal and parallel to the plate itself. All you have to do is to rotate your stiffeners by 90 deg and lower than so that they 'contact' the plate. Mind that the height of the stiffeners will be what is now their thickness and their width should be defined as the thickness instead.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 9 of 10
tamararr

Thank you again!

I could solve the problem with the stiffeners.

Now I want to check buckling of the plate, and I am running the buckling analysis but I don´t know how to display the results, as we do with bars in the steel member design. Can you help me with this?

Thank you!

Message 10 of 10
Artur.Kosakowski

Please look at the attached picture. The access to the results for a shell model is the same as for a frame one.

See also:

http://docs.autodesk.com/RSA/2012/ENU/filesROBOT/GUID-390D9598-F3A2-48AD-BBE7-08577F6A1E4-652.htm

and (critical loads)

http://docs.autodesk.com/RSA/2012/ENU/filesROBOT/GUID-B07BC8A4-63BD-4602-AF32-3F45F7435E1-23.htm

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report