Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wooden frames in Robot structural analysis as separate structure

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
2680 Views, 5 Replies

Wooden frames in Robot structural analysis as separate structure

Hello!

I´m making a wooden frame for a warehouse building in robot 2012. It´s made of pillars and beams. Ontop of it there will be pre-fabricated roofelements.

I have made the snow and wind loads on claddings covering the frame.

My problem is how do I check if the frame will last when its a seperate structure? do I need to make a shell roof ? or should I try to make the roof elements in Robot ? 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: Anonymous

If you assume that the roof elements are just the load for its supporting structure then I think you can apply their weight in the same way as you did for snow (cladding load) and then check the supporting structure e.g. against EC5 design code available in Robot.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

yes I have done that, thats not my problem.

what I want to know is:

example:

when I have wind load on the gabel, does it only affect the gabel frame? not the rest of the frames? because when you add the roof elements these will transfer some loads to the next frame.. and the next... and so on.

Now if I have made claddings on the structure will that be enough for robot to understand that the wind load affects more than just the gabel frame

because the frames are not touchning eachoter in any oter way than by the claddings.

Hope you can understand what I´m trying to say, its not so easy to explain 😉

Message 4 of 6
Artur.Kosakowski

Then "If you assume that the roof elements are just the load for its supporting structure" is not true. In such case you can think of different approach and instead of claddings use  panels with stiffness (thickness) that corresponds to the real roof elements. They will be then responsible of transferring the horizontal loads to other frames.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 6
youngcho

Dear  Artur.Kosakowski

Hi, my name is Young Cho.

I am modeling 2 story plus cellar- 2 family wooden frame row house that is connected with the party wall (consisting of concrete footing, concrete foundation wall, party wall with 2x6 wood studs, 2x12 wood floor joists). 3 buildings of 2 family house are connected continuously. I am looking for similar example RSA models. Would you mind sending me the models if you have, and advise how to model this project?  Could you advise me your email to ycho31552@hotmail.com. Regards, Young Cho

Message 6 of 6
youngcho
in reply to: youngcho

john sodergran and Artur Kosakowski,

I am sorry. This message was supposed to be addressed to  john sodergran and Artur Kosakowski.

Regards,

Young Cho

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report