Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warping Constant using AISC member

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
CameronEC
5496 Views, 8 Replies

Warping Constant using AISC member

AISC members have a warping constant (Iom or Cw) = 0 using the member from the AISC database. (see below).

Cw2.JPG

But when I use this member with the CSA S16-09 design code, I get results that assign a value to Cw (see below)

Cw.JPG

Where is ROBOT getting the value of Cw?

Thanks,

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

It is calculated 'inside' the steel design module either based on formulas form the selected design code or the general ones for the declared section type. E.g.

Iw1.png

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 9
Dirgs
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Artur,

This answer is also useful for my last post on Lateral Bucklyng of Tapered Section.

Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 9

Hello!

Is there an calculation formula how to calculate Iw for rectalngular cross section? I find for all cross sections except rectangular.

Tags (1)
Message 5 of 9

rtube.PNG

alpha=b-t

beta=h-t

Iw=alpha*alpha*beta*beta*(alpha-beta)*(alpha-beta)*t/(24.0*(alpha+beta))

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 9

Artur.Kosakowski, Would you please provide the reference of that table? Thanks.

Message 7 of 9

Hi @michealasaad

It is from the Polish steel design code.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 8 of 9

Thank you, @Artur.Kosakowski !

Message 9 of 9
pabmona
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

I was trying to get a consistent method to calculate the warping constant (Cw) of closed sections and I wanted to compare it with an analytic formula. Could you tell me what is the source of the one you published here? It's easy to find warping constant formulas for open sections, not so much for closed ones. Thanks in advance.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report