Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volumetric structure type

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
SamKa85
795 Views, 5 Replies

Volumetric structure type

Hello, 

Do you have any examples that show how to use the Volumetric structure type ?

For example:

1- Drawing/Importing the structure

2- Defining Supports

3- Defining Loads

Thanks, 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: SamKa85

Please check the example 9 from the Robot Training manual.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 6
SamKa85
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Thanks Arthur,

Having had a look at the example no 9, I went and made a 3D FEM model of a steel bracket supporting a steel beam and fixed to a concrete wall by means of anchor bolts.

have no error reports but I would appreciate it if you could have a look at the model and tell me if my work is correct especially the way I modelled the supports.

The rtd file download link is below:

http://www.filemail.com/d/vkjaoziwordufhz

Thank you,

Message 4 of 6
Artur.Kosakowski

You may consider creating a node in the center of the opening with the defined support connected with nodes that are generated on the inner surface of the opening with rigid links. In addition you may need more rows of elements across the thickness of the plates for better accuracy of distribution of stresses (I think that for a single row you can use the shell model instead which is easier to create and more flexible for accessing the results). Otherwise I think it is OK.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 5 of 6
SamKa85
in reply to: Artur.Kosakowski

Arthur, 

Thank you for your informative answer. I have some follow up questions which I would appreciate it if you can answer.

1-  All the degrees of freedom must be blocked for the rigid links between the newly created support node and the other nodes on the inner surface of the opening. Is this correct ?

2- Can I apply the technique above for the openings of bolts where loads are applied ?

3- As for the thickness of the plates. Do you mean that the thickness of the plate should be represented by a number of "laminates" rather than one piece of solid ?

4- Can you please send me an example of a bracket done in shell model if you have any ?

Thank you again for your time and efforts 

Message 6 of 6
Artur.Kosakowski

1-  All the degrees of freedom must be blocked for the rigid links between the newly created support node and the other nodes on the inner surface of the opening. Is this correct ?

As there a number of (slave) nodes around the support (master) node it would be enough to block the translations only (which stands for all available d.o.fs for a solid)

2- Can I apply the technique above for the openings of bolts where loads are applied ?

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly but I think the answer is yes as it is the standard way of modeling this situation.

3- As for the thickness of the plates. Do you mean that the thickness of the plate should be represented by a number of "laminates" rather than one piece of solid ?

No, what I mean is that you should generate smaller elements which will result in having several 'layers' of surface elements 'across' the plate 'thickness'

4- Can you please send me an example of a bracket done in shell model if you have any ?

It would be exactly the same model as yours wit the difference being that all the parts (plates)  being modeled as surfaces (vertical, horizontal) rather than solids. In other words look at your model and imagine that you replaced all the plates with vertical and horizontal planes (just as if you model a wall and slab in a building).

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report