Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update *.rtd from elements from other *.rtd files

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
AlexDT
916 Views, 7 Replies

Update *.rtd from elements from other *.rtd files

Hi,

I want to do a loadtakedown calculation with my model from revit and I want to do calculations of my floors in another robot file, but keep the elements in both files linked. So that if I change the size or material in one file, the other on updates too.

Is this even possible? Is there another function that does something similar or shouldn't I even want to do this haha?  Smiley Embarassed

Revit can update from an *.rtd file, why shouldnt Robot itself be able to?

Alex

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski
in reply to: AlexDT

Alex,

Try the following workflow:

1. Create model and run takedown analysis. Decide on sizes of elements that you want to focus at this stage and save the model

2. Select the floor (or any other part of the model) that you want to design separately and save it as substructure

3. Open such created file and run the design. Change sections, materials etc. and save the file

4. Update the main model with the modified substructure

I'm attaching the pictures that illustrate this workflow.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 3 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski

The last picture.

If you find your post answered press the Accept as Solution button please. This will help other users to find solutions much faster. Thank you.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 4 of 8

Artur,

I was trying to do this on a large building we did recently, but in a slightly different way.  There was a concrete concourse and also a large steel framed roof.  We had one engineer (me) work on the concrete part, and another on the roof.  I really had wanted to use this to perform analysis seperately, then recombine the models.  

What occured when i joined the models back together was that all of the load cases became duplicated (for example, i started with simple cases 1 through to 10 in both models.  When re-combined, it became 1 through 20, with 1 and 11 being the same, 2 and 12 the same and so on).  

I ended up having to go into the loads table, and changing case 11 to 1, 12 to 2 and so on.  

Is this an error, or does it sound like im doing something wrong???

Cheers,

Tony

Message 5 of 8

Tony,

How this was done exactly? You created two separate models (in two files) and then you merged them or in the way I described (one model > save part as substructure > update of substructure)?

Artur Kosakowski
Message 6 of 8
AlexDT

Thanks again Artur, for you detaild explanation!!

I will now follow your conversation with Tony as it seem to give problems.

Message 7 of 8
Artur.Kosakowski

I believe that Tony's approach is a bit different (with no use of a substructure save from the complete model)  but let's wait for his answer.

Artur Kosakowski
Message 8 of 8

"How this was done exactly? You created two separate models (in two files) and then you merged them or in the way I described (one model > save part as substructure > update of substructure)?"

Artur,

I had assembled the entire building in one model, set up all the load cases and combinations, then selected roof elements and did "save as substructure".  Then when I went to re-combine, I did “insert from file”.  

Maybe this is why I was getting problems.  This was mid last year and I now can't remember exactly why I chose insert instead of update.  Maybe this evening i will revisit the original model and check your method.  

Tony

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report